March 17, 2012
CHARLOTTSVILLE, Va. - Sophomore Cristina Stancu downed No. 15 Emily Fraser in straight sets and 20th-ranked Ana Belzunce and Welma Luus upended No. 16 Emily Fraser and Li Xi in doubles action, but it was not enough for the Maryland women's tennis team to defeat the 7th-ranked Virginia Cavaliers Saturday afternoon at the Synder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers picked up four wins in singles action to defeat the Terps, 4-3.
Belzunce and Luus got the No. 69 Terps (6-7, 0-3 ACC) started on Saturday. After Virginia won at No. 2 doubles, Belzunce and Luus returned the favor with an 8-6 victory over Fraser and Xi. For Belzunce and Luus, it was their sixth win over a ranked opponent this season.
Shortly after, Maryland took the lead as senior Jordan Hansbrough and freshman Mikele Irazusta dispatched of Lindsey Hardenbergh and Molly O'Koniewski, 8-6.
Virginia tied the match at one after earning a victory at No. 6 singles, but it was short lived as No. 41 Stancu earned her sixth victory over a ranked opponent with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Fraser.
With the Terps leading 2-1, the Cavaliers won three consecutive matches at No. 3, 4 and 2 to secure the win. No. 42 Hardenbergh defeated Belzunce, 6-3, 6-3 in the deciding match.
Irazusta continued her strong singles play with a three-set victory over Erin Vierra to close the match at the No. 5 position.
#7 Virginia 4, #69 Maryland 3
1. #41 Cristina Stancu (MD) def. #15 Emily Fraser (UVA) 6-1, 6-1
2. #42 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVA) def. Ana Belzunce (MD) 6-3, 6-3
3. #90 Li Xi (UVA) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 6-3, 7-6
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVA) def. Welma Luus (MD) 6-3, 7-6
5. Mikele Irazusta (MD) def. Erin Vierra (UVA) 0-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVA) def. Jordan Hansbrough (MD) 6-2, 6-0
1. #20 Ana Belzunce/Welma Luus (MD) def. #16 Emily Fraser/Li Xi (UVA) 8-6
2. Hana Tomljanovic/Erin Vierra (UVA) def. Cristina Stancu/Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 8-4
3. Mikele Irazusta/Jordan Hansbrough (MD) def. Lindsey Hardenbergh/Molly O'Koniewski (UVA) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,1,3,4,2,5)
- Terps -