May 14, 2002
ECAC/ IC4A CHAMPIONSHIPS
MAY 18-19, 2002
WEAVER TRACK AND FIELD FACILITY
The Final Sprint
* The Terps will compete against the best the East Coast has to offer this weekend when it travels to Princeton, N.J. for the ECAC/ IC4A Track and Field Championships. To be eligible to compete, runners and throwers must have surpassed speed and distance requirements established by the ECAC. This year, 21 members of the squad--13 women and eight men--will represent the Terps.
* Results will be posted as the events are completed on the ECAC's website http://www.ecac.com/site/championships/womens_sports/out_track_and_field/Division_I/results/. Competition begins at 11 a.m. on Saturday and 10:30 a.m. on Sunday.
Records Fall as Women Rise to the Top
* Senior Thema Napier (Columbia, Md.) established a new career best and school record in the 400-meter hurdles on her way to victory at the James Madison Invtiational. Her time of 58.27 bested her previous career best of 58.63 which she set at the 1999 ECAC Outdoor Championships. Almost as important as the record, the mark allowed Napier to move up the list of NCAA provisional qualifiers, bettering her chances of making the NCAA Championships.
* Senior thrower Ruth Kura (Potomac, Md.) added her name to the record books once again by establishing a new high in the hammer throw. Kura's toss of 182-0 gave her first place on the day and bested the old mark of 180-10 set by Cathy Porter in 1999. She also holds the indoor weight throw record of 66-9.25 which she set this past campaign.
More from James Madison Invitational
* The only new qualifier for the ECAC Championships from the weekend was junior pole vaulter Natalie Dye (Myersville, Md.). She soared to a season high at 11-11.75, equaling her previous best outdoor perfrorance set at the 2001 ACC Championships.
* Junior Tia Burley (Baltimore, Md.), who is tied for the team high qualifying in five events, set a new career best mark in the 400 meters while finishing second. Her time of 53.75 is tops on the team and puts her among the best in the ACC.
* Sophomore Toni Jefferson (Baltimore, Md.) brought home a victory for the Terps in the 100 meters with a time of 11.73, only .03 seconds off her season and career best time (11.70). Also in the 100 meters, Rashida Twiggs (Blue Bell, Pa.) raced to a new season to a new season best time of 12.15 while coming in third.
ECAC Qualifiers(13) IC4A Qualifiers(8) Toni Jefferson - 100, 200, 400, 4x100, 4x400 Harold Manning - 200, 400, 4x100, 4x400 Tia Burley - 200, 400, 100H, 4x100, 4x400 Rob Frelow - 400, 4x100, 4x400 Devenn Hamilton - 400, 4x400 Ian Moore - 4x100 Thema Napier - 100H, 400H, 4x400 Phillip Barrett - 110H, 4x400 Amber Stanley - 100 H, 4x100 Dontae Bugg - 110H, 4x100 Natalie Dye - Pole Vault Dave Benaderet - 4x400 Punnie Chittchang - Long Jump John Collins - Hammer Heather Houston - Long Jump James Gondak - Hammer Tracy Ojeniyi - Shot Put Labelle Hillgrove - Discus Ruth Kura - Discus, Hammer Aranda Brown - Hammer Rashida Twiggs - 4x100
Track contact: Chris Stuchko