May 7, 2002
James Madison Invitational
May 10 and 11
Finish Line in Sight
* This weekend marks the last chance for the Terps to better their times in hopes of qualifying for the ECAC, IC4A and NCAA championships meets as the team will travel to two different events: the James Madison Invitational on May 10 and 11 and the Towson Invitational on May 11.
* This will be the Terps first trip to the James Madison Last Chance meet since May 12 and 13, 2000.
Women Take Three Victories at Mason Invitational
* Junior Punnie Chittchang (Mount Airy, Md.) set a new career best in the long jump at the Mason Invitational. Her jump of 20-3 gave her the first-place spot and also vaulted her to the team lead in the event. It was her first victory of the season and leaves her only 2.25 inches of the school record held by three different women, most recently by Lynn Harris in 2001.
* Junior Aranda Brown (Schenectady, N.Y.) also set a new career best mark in the hammer in her victory at the Mason Invitational. The throw of 157-11.50 propelled Brown to her first career victory.
* Taking the third win for the Terps at the Mason Invitational was senior Thema Napier (Columbia, Md.) who took the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 59.31. It was the second victory in the event this season for the NCAA provisional qualifier and school record holder in the event.
Men Move into the record book
* Freshman Rob Frelow (White Plains, N.Y.) has had an outstanding campaign thus far. His season best time of 46.98 in the 400 meters is already good enough to place Frelow at number six overall in the Maryland record book only .01 seconds behind Chris Stauffer. The record time of 46.17 was set by Paul Gittens in 1997.
* The battle for king of the hammer throw has been a season-long struggle between senior James Gondak (Doylestown, Pa.) and junior John Collins (Clarksburg, Md.). At the Mason Invitational, Gondak (178-0) edged Collins (176-3) for second place. But for the season, Collins (178-1) holds the slightest of margins, leading Gondak (178-0) by only one inch. With their performances this season, Collins and Gondak have moved into fourth and fifth place in school history in the men's hammer throw.
ECAC Qualifiers(13) IC4A Qualifiers(8) Toni Jefferson - 100, 200, 400 Harold Manning - 200, 400 Tia Burley - 200, 400, 100H Rob Frelow - 400 Devenn Hamilton - 400 Thema Napier - 100H, 400H Phillip Barrett - 110H Amber Stanley - 100 H Dontae Bugg - 110H Punnie Chittchang - Long Jump John Collins - Hammer Heather Houston - Long Jump James Gondak - Hammer Tracy Ojeniyi - Shot Put 4x100 Relay Labelle Hillgrove - Discus 4x400 Relay Ruth Kura - Discus, Hammer Aranda Brown - Hammer 4x100 Relay 4x400 Relay
Track contact:Chris Stuchko