COLLEGE PARK, Md.. -
Maryland (24-14) at West Virginia (19-16)
Tues., April 22 (6 p.m.)
Probable Pitching Matchup
UMD - Fr. LHP Tayler Stiles (2-1, 2.55 ERA) vs. WVU - So. LHP Ross Vance (1-0, 3.60 ERA)
- Freshman left hander Tayler Stiles will be making his second career start for the Terps Tuesday. Stiles made his first career start against NC State on March 23 and lasted three innings allowing one run on four hits with two strikeouts. On the season, Stiles is holding opposing batters to a .237 average and has been particularly tough on left-handed hitters holding them to a .192 average. Stiles is averaging 7.66 strikeouts per nine and sports a 2.6 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
- Second baseman Brandon Lowe leads the Terps in hitting with a .344 average, the fourth-best mark in the ACC, after going 8-for-15 (.533) in four games last week to raise his average 35 points. Lowe hit .636 against Georgia Tech over the weekend with two doubles and two RBI. The redshirt freshman went a combined 7-for-7 in the final two games of the series.
- Jose Cuas blasted his team-best fifth home run of the season in Maryland's 7-2 win over the Yellow Jackets Friday. Cuas leads the team in slugging (.474) and total bases (54), and ranks second in doubles (10).
- In non-conference action, Blake Schmit leads the team in hitting (.356), slugging (.525) and doubles (8). Schmit has also driven in 13 runs in those contests.
- The Terrapin pitching staff boasts a 2.19 ERA and is holding opponents to a .177 average in non-conference action. The Terps have not allowed more than two earned runs in 10 of their last 11 non-conference games.
- Maryland leads the all-time series against West Virginia, 30-17-1, and will be making its first trip to Morgantown since 2011. The Terps have won six of the last eight meetings with the Mountaineers including most recently a 3-0 victory over WVU in 2012 in College Park. In its last trip to Morgantown, Maryland knocked off West Virginia, 10-6.
MARYLAND VS. CANCER
- The Maryland baseball team has started its annual fundraiser to raise money for the Vs. Cancer Foundation. Maryland's goal is $20,000. To help the Terps reach their goal, visit maryland.vs.-cancer.org.