Terps, Wolfpack Play to 1-1 Tie

Sept. 19, 2004

Final Stats

CARY, N.C. - Jason Garey scored the game-tying goal with just over 11 minutes left in regulation and No. 2 Maryland and NC State played even the rest of the way as the Terrapins and Wolfpack played to a 1-1 tie Sunday afternoon at SAS Stadium.

The Terps (5-0-1) trailed for nine minutes in the second half after a goal by NC State's Aaron King before Garey got the equalizer nine minutes later.

In the first half, each team traded quality possessions, but failed to get a large amount of quality shots. The Terps were able to get five shots, but none of them went on goal. One of Maryland's best opportunities came with just over two minutes remaining in the first half after the ball came to Kevin Reiman after a scramble in front of the net. Reiman's shot, though, sailed high.

In the first 45 minutes, the Wolfpack midfield did a good job of maintaining possession. NC State's two best scoring looks at goal came on a free kick from John Queeley that just missed right from 25 yards out and a shot by Santiago Fusilier that was deflected before it was saved by Noah Palmer. The Terp back line refused to give NC State any looks inside the box and held the Wolfpack to four shots as the teams went into the half tied 0-0.

NC State continued to press in the first half but was unable to capitalize on a pair of scoring opportunities within the first 20 minutes of the second half. Bryant Salter got off the strongest shot of the afternoon from the top of the box but it went right to Palmer for the save. Off a corner, Aaron King's header from the far post just floated high with 29 minutes remaining.

After a Maryland corner was headed away, NC State took the opportunity to counter-attack. Federico Peria settled the ball near midfield before sending it ahead to Aaron King. King got inside the Maryland defender in a one-on-one situation and beat Palmer from 15 yards in the upper-left side of the net with just over 21 minutes remaining.

The Terps switched to just three in the back and then began to get a few more opportunities. Maryland got the equalizer at 79:43 after Maurice Edu got the ball at the top of the box after a throw-in, and played it ahead to Stephen King. NC State goalie Jorge Gonzalez came out to play the cross but Garey was able to get to it first as he finished from just six yards out.

NC State had a chance to end the game in regulation on another counter-attack with just over two minutes left after King again made an excellent one-on-one move to get free toward the touch line. King sent a cross that just missed the foot of two Wolfpack attackers.

Maryland had a final look at the goal as time was expiring, but Edu's shot was saved by Gonzalez and Chris Lancos' shot off the rebound was blocked by a NC State defender before it could reach goal.

In the first overtime, neither team was able to get much offense generated and the game became a bit more physical. A Thompson shot off a throw-in by Eric Brunner was the only shot on goal for either team in the overtime session.

In the second overtime, the Wolfpack was able to generate several chances off of three corner kicks and a shot by King sailed just high before time expired.

The Terps will be back in action on Wednesday, Sept. 22, at 7 p.m. at William & Mary.