Men's Soccer and Cal State Northridge Play To 1-1 Draw

Oct. 21, 2007

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The Maryland men's soccer team went into overtime for the eighth time this season as it played to a 1-1 draw against Cal State Northridge on October 21 at Ludwig Field. Both goals were scored before three minutes had expired from the clock as freshman Rodney Wallace scored the equalizer for the Terrapins just 2:16 into the match.

Cal State Northridge's Michael Clegg scored 1:02 into the match after Adrian Lopez stole a bad clear attempt from the Maryland keeper. The Terps responded with Wallace's score with the assists going to junior Rich Costanzo and sophomore Jeremy Hall.

A minute after the opening whistle, the Maryland keeper tried to clear the ball from the box with the Matadors applying some pressure. The ball stayed on the ground and went right to Lopez in the middle of the field. Clegg was streaking on the left side and Lopez fed him nicely to set up the goal.

Maryland's equalizer came very quickly as Hall handled the ball on the right side. He dished ahead to Costanzo who sent a cross into the box. The pass found Wallace at the far post, who headed in a shot to cap the scoring.

Both teams did not go without chances, though, as the Terps used clever passing on the left side at the 25:50 mark. Senior Stephen King sent a nice through ball to Wallace outside of the box who sent a cross into the middle. Junior Graham Zusi got a head to the ball but his header just missed.

Ten minutes later, Zusi set up for a corner on the left side and sent a ball into the box. Sophomore Omar Gonzalez used his 6-6 frame to get position, but his header was saved by Kevin Guppy. With 12:17 left in the first half, freshman Yannick Salmon set up classmate Billy Cortes with a nice pass, but his shot missed by inches to the left.

The Matadors almost put one on the board as time was expiring as Clegg's teammate found him making a run on the right side. Clegg opted to shoot and barely missed the near post with a shot.

With 38:17 left in the game, Maryland earned another corner, one of 13, and almost capitalized. With the ball bouncing around in the box, it finally settled to an open Drew Yates, who fired a shot but missed a little to the left.

Ten minutes later the Matadors came close to hitting the go-ahead goal as Moy Gomez found some open space to fire a blast from 20 yards out but his shot sailed high.

The most important save of the day came with just three minutes to play in regulation as Zusi set up for a corner on the right side. His delivery found Wallace in the middle of the box who redirected the pass. His header was on goal, but Guppy made the point-blank save to keep the score tied.

After the first overtime session with each team taking a shot, the second 10 minutes was fast paced with eight total shots. Devin Deldo nearly claimed the golden goal 2:42 into the second overtime as he fired a shot that hit the crossbar, bounced down, and stayed clear from the goal line.

Gonzalez missed high on a header with 5:30 to play and then two minutes later, the Terps earned a pair of free kicks right outside the box. On the second attempt, King fired a shot that was blocked by the Cal State Northridge wall, but the ricochet went right to Costanzo. He fired on goal but Guppy came up with another save to keep the game tied.

Sophomore Doug Rodkey got in on the action with 1:51 remaining as he dribbled down the right side and used his speed to create some space. He sent a blast towards the far post, but Guppy dove and saved another Terp attempt to force the draw.

The contest was rough for the entire 110 minutes as the Matadors committed 26 fouls to Maryland's 13. Cal State Northridge was handed six cards, three of them red, while the Terps also had a player sent off.

The Terps (6-4-4) host two more games this week as they play Georgetown on Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m. and then get back into conference action against NC State on Friday night at 8:00 p.m.