No. 2 Terps and No. 6 UNC Tie, 1-1

Oct. 7, 2006

Box Score

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - The No. 2 men's soccer team scored the equalizer in the 68th minute to force a 1-1 draw with No. 6 North Carolina on October 6 in front of 3,581 fans at Fetzer Field. It was third-largest crown in UNC history. Junior Stephen King scored the goal for the Terps with sophomore Graham Zusi adding another assist. Sophomore keeper Chris Seitz saved a penalty kick with 21 minutes left in the match to secure the tie.

The Terps gave up an early goal in the seventh minute but were able to come away with the draw. Seitz made four saves for Maryland, which now stands at 10-1-1. The Tar Heels now have a record of 10-2-2 with their second-straight tie.

"It was a fair result," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "We showed a little rust from the week off. North Carolina is a great team and is very, very deep. I am proud of the maturity and the resiliency we showed tonight. We showed the heart of a champion by coming back."

North Carolina got on the board early in the match in the seventh minute. Corey Ashe found Bill Dworsky on a throw in on the right side of the field. The Terps' defense collapsed on Dworsky, so he found a wide open Ben Hunter to his left who fired a shot from 22 yards out that beat Seitz to his right.

A couple of minutes later, King barely missed on an equalizer. Freshman Jason Herrick settled a cross to King in the middle of the box, but his shot misfired high and to the left.

At the 13:13 point in the half, sophomore Rich Costanzo got a decent chance at goal when he took a loose ball in front of the box and took aim at the left side of the goal from 20 yards out. UNC keeper Justin Hughes dove to his right and made the save.

With 3:39 left in the half, freshman Drew Yates delivered a beautiful through ball to King down the middle of the pitch. King chased after the ball as Hughes came out, and King got to the ball first and took a shot, but a sliding Hughes made the key save to keep the Terps off the scoreboard.

The beginning of the second half was filled with a lot of play in the midfield. The Tar Heels got the first quality chance of the half when Michael Callahan took a shot at Seitz, but he made a relatively easy stop on the ground.

King finally found some good luck with the equalizer midway through the half. At the 22:41 mark following a Maryland corner, the Terps looked for a cross and Zusi found one that reached King at the top of the box. King blasted a shot to the right side that beat Hughes to deadlock the match 1-1.

Just over a minute later with 21:03 on the clock, Dworski was making a run towards goal with nobody in front of him. A Terp defender committed a foul from behind and the Heels were awarded a penalty kick, the first of the season for an opponent. Ted Odgers elected to take the penalty kick and aimed lower left. Seitz came up huge for the Terps to keep the game tied as he made the diving save and did not allow a rebound.

At the eight minute mark in the match, UNC got a couple of quality chances from Eddie Ababio and Ashe, but both strikes went high over the cross bar. Those were the last two chances either team would have in regulation.

"We made some good halftime adjustments," Cirovski said. "You saw tough competitors out there that know how to raise their game."

At the start of the first overtime, Michael Harrington delivered a perfect through ball to a UNC forward, but his shot was blocked and the resulting corner proved harmless as Seitz came out and made the save. The Heels got a few more quality chances before the end of the first extra session but came away without a goal.

With one minute left in the match, UNC had an opportunity to put a shot on goal but the Terps' back line swarmed around Dworsky to quell the attack.

The Terps are back on the road next Wednesday, October 11 when they travel to Charlottesville to take on No. 3 Virginia in another ACC road contest. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.