No. 1 Maryland Tops Wake Forest, 2-1

Nov. 9, 2005

Box Score |  Notes |  Photo Gallery

CARY, N.C. - Jason Garey scored the game-winner off feeds from Graham Zusi and Stephen King in the 65th minute of action to advance to the ACC Semifinals Friday night against Duke. The top-seeded Terps will face the fourth-seeded Blue Devils after their 2-0 win over Virginia Tech earlier in the day.

"We knew it was going to be a difficult game because Wake is a great team," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "I felt like we lacked the energy and emotion in the first half, but I thought we defended well. When you're defending well and you have talented players like Jason Garey you have a chance to win."

With the win, Maryland improves to 15-3-1 on the year. Wake moves to 11-7-2 on the season.

Neither team was able to generate much offense through most of the first half. The Terps broke through after Robbie Rogers was taken down in the box and were awarded a penalty kick. King stepped up to convert his second PK of the year (both vs. Wake Forest) to give Maryland the 1-0 lead in the 31st minute.

Wake got the equalizer after a foul was called on the Terps for grabbing the jersey of a Demon Deacon player in the box on a corner kick. Steven Curfman converted the ensuing penalty kick for Wake to tie the score at 1-1 before the half.

The action in the second half was again mostly in the midfield with neither team getting serious looks in the box. Maryland was able to take charge of the game with a burst through the midfield after King played Zusi ahead down the right flank. Zusi cut back to the middle of the field and played a cross along the ground to Garey who one-timed the shot to the lower-right corner for what would be the game-winner.

The Maryland defense remained stout through the rest of the game as the Demon Deacons were held without a shot on goal the rest of the way. In fact, Wake's only shot on goal for the game was on the penalty kick. For the game, the Deacs were limited to eight shots.