No. 1 Maryland Advances With 1-0 Win Over Brown

Nov. 22, 2005

Box Score |  Notes

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Senior Marc Burch's goal in the 26th minute of play was all the Terrapins would need as they held off Brown, 1-0, Tuesday night in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Ludwig Field. With the win, the Terrapins advance to face St. John's, who was a 1-0 winner over Dartmouth, this Sunday at 1 p.m. at Ludwig Field.

"We expected a hard game, and it certainly proved to be one," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "Brown is a really difficult team to penetrate, and it was important for us to get that first goal. They are very well coached and organized and tough to break down."

Brown started strong with a quick shot in the opening minutes that required a save from freshman Chris Seitz. Keith Caldwell gathered a loose ball in the box, turned and fired near post where Seitz was able to make the save.

The Terps then started generate offense with dangerous crosses from Burch and Godbolt, but it wasn't until the two connected in the 26th minute. Godbolt controlled the ball just past midfield where he sent a pass to a streaking Burch in the middle of the field. Burch put a settling touch on the ball inside the box and fired a shot past Jarrett Leech to give Maryland the 1-0 lead.

"I saw A.J. look up, and I just ran to where I knew he'd hit it," Burch said of his third goal of the season. "He hit one a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't able to finish, but this time I was able to get it."

Jason Garey nearly made it 2-0 late in the half, but he had a shot blocked inside the box and the rebound just missed high.

The Terps did well to possess the ball early in the second half, but the Bears countered late with some quality chances. Keith Caldwell's corner kick in the waning minutes was put in front of the goal mouth and deflected toward the Terrapin goal, but Kenney Bertz was there to head the ball away and out of the Terrapin zone. Over a minute later, Darren Howerton took a shot from 30 yards but Seitz was able to make his third stop of the day.

The Bears had six corner kicks on the night, five of those coming in the second half of action.

Maryland held an 11-4 advantage in shots for the game, and the two teams just took five total in the second half.

"I thought our defending was very good today," Cirovski said. "Apart from that chance within the first 30 seconds, they didn't have very many scoring opportunities, and I credit our team defending with that."