No. 1 Terps Fall To No. 4 Clemson, 2-1

Sept. 8, 2006

Box Score

CLEMSON, S.C. - Freshman Jeremy Hall notched his second goal of the season and senior David Glaudemans got the assist but it was the No. 4 Clemson Tigers coming away with a 2-1 victory against the No. 1 Terps on September 8 in the ACC opener for both sides. The match was played in front of 6,821 fans, the second largest crowd in Riggs Field history.

"It was a great atmosphere," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "I give Clemson a lot of credit for their resiliency. It was a festive crowd and it showed that college soccer can be a major spectator sport."

The only crowd to exceed tonight's number was the 1987 national championship match played at Clemson which drew over 8,000 fans.

The Tigers controlled the match early. In the second minute, the Clemson offense was able to connect on an inbounds play. A cross was delivered and kicked into the goal, but the Tigers were whistled for offsides to negate the score. Ten minutes later, Dane Richards dribbled down the right side of the field, spun around a defender, and found David Bell in the box. Bell sent a cross from right to left, and Frederico Moojen put a shot past the keeper for a 1-0 Tigers lead.

Richards continued to create offense the rest of the half and gave Clemson a couple of more good chances. With 20 minutes to go, Richards found himself with a clear lane to the goal before two Terp defenders closed in on him and broke up the play. In the next 10 minutes, he came up with two more opportunities, but could not connect on either one.

The Terps were able to tie the score in the 41st minute to take a 1-1 tie into the break. David Glaudemans dribbled the ball down the middle of the field and found Jeremy Hall in the box. Glaudemans lifted a pass to him, and with his back to the goal, Hall headed a shot to the left side of the goal to tie the match.

"Clemson came out strong," Cirovski said. "Once we weathered the early storm, it became an even game."

In the second half, A.J. Godbolt came up with a quick chance for Maryland when he sent a shot from the right side that nailed the cross bar just 45 seconds in. At the 31:35 mark in the half, sophomore keeper Chris Seitz made a huge save to keep the game tied. He knocked down a shot from his left with a sprawling save to the right. The rebound bounced around and the Tigers tried to take two more shots, but both were blocked before they reached Seitz. The threat ended when Seitz intercepted a cross in front of the net.

Clemson's Alan O'Hara was sent off with 29 minutes to go in the match, but Clemson was still able to record the game winner. With 16:02 left in the match, Richards took the ball to the left corner and delivered a cross into the box. Danny Poe found an open spot in the Terp defense and put a header into the right side of the goal.

The Terps got a few quality chances with eight minutes left in the match. When a pass was lofted towards the box, Tigers keeper Marfuggi came out to knock it away. Glaudemans ended up with the ball and an open net from about 25 yards out, but his attempt was blocked. Maryland got a couple of corners out of it, but were unable to capitalize on a pair of headers.

"We weren't at our best," Cirovski said. "But we still had a chance to win. We just let it slip away."

Seitz was credited with two saves for the Terps while Phil Marfuggi stopped five shots for Clemson, which improves to 5-0-0 and 1-0-0 in the ACC.

The Terps (4-1-0, 0-1-0 ACC) return to action on Wednesday, September 13 when they host Mount St. Mary's at 7:30 p.m. at Ludwig Field.