No. 13 Duke Edges No. 1 Maryland, 2-1

Sept. 25, 2004

Box Score

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The Duke Blue Devils scored a pair of goals just seven minutes apart in the second half and held off a furious Maryland offensive rally for a 2-1 win Saturday night at Ludwig Field in front of 4,165 fans.

The Terps (5-2-1, 0-1-1 ACC) held a commanding 24-8 lead on shots, but were unable to convert several good scoring chances. Despite surrendering two goals, the Terp back line played well, allowing just Duke eight shots -- three of which were on goal. The Blue Devils played physically against the Terps, getting whistled for 17 fouls while Maryland was called for just four.

"I thought we played well -- we were aggressive, we created chances, our back line held a quality team to just eight shots," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "We self-destructed and made two critical mistakes, and Duke took advantage."

Maryland had several good scoring chances in the first half, including a shot by Domenic Mediate that was saved by a Blue Devil defender in the 19th minute. Maurice Edu had a chance of a corner kick, but his header hit the cross bar and went over the net.

Duke (9-0-0, 2-0-0 ACC) got on the scoreboard just six minutes into the second half when Michael Videira sent a ball into the box without a Duke player making a run. However, the Terps failed to clear the ball and it rolled into the net for the score at 50:43.

The Blue Devils tacked on another goal seven minutes later on a cross sent by Spencer Wadsworth. The Terps were unable to time the ball correctly to head it away, and Duke's Danny Kramer blasted the shot into the net for the 2-0 lead.

Maryland continued to attack, pressuring Duke in the final third of the field. The pressure paid off when Stephen King played a ball ahead to Abe Thompson who was holding off Duke's Danny Miller. However, Miller tripped over Thompson's feet in the box and landed on the ball drawing the foul call. Thompson buried the penalty kick in the right-hand corner of the net to cut the Duke lead to 2-1 with just under 15 minutes remaining in the game.

The Terps looked for the equalizer, but it wouldn't come. Maryland had three shots and one corner kick in the game's final 15 minutes.

Duke's Justin Trowbridge made four saves on the night. Maryland's Noah Palmer registered on save for the Terps.

Maryland will be back in action next Saturday, Oct. 2, at Wake Forest, at 7 p.m. (GameTracker will be available for that game). The Terps return to Ludwig Field on Wednesday, Oct. 6, to take on Villanova.