Men's Soccer and Stony Brook Play To 1-1 Tie

Oct. 2, 2007

Box Score

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Freshman Billy Cortes scored his first collegiate goal in the 57th minute as the Maryland men's soccer team and Stony Brook played to a 1-1 draw on October 2 at Ludwig Field. The Terrapins dominated the match and outshot the Seawolves 20-4 but were unable to come up with a game-winning second goal. Senior Spencer Allen and junior Graham Zusi were credited with the assist on Maryland's score.

"It's frustrating to leave some results on the table," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "We needed to bounce back with a win today and at times we played well enough. A number of quality players had quality chances and missed them. We got the goal and should have never allowed an opportunity for them. They got a goal in their second shot and that's soccer; that's frustrating. We certainly needed a win and didn't get it. We can take away a lot of positives but we also need to revisit a few things that went wrong."

Maryland controlled the match for the entire 110 minutes, allowing just a single shot in each of the four periods. The Terps rattled off 17 shots in regulation and three more in the extra sessions. The Terps also earned eight corners during the course of the night and did not allow one to Stony Brook.

Zusi got things going for the Terps 15 minutes after the opening whistle when he sent in the Terps' first corner kick of the evening. His in-swinger was low and kicked back to him, but he was able to send in another cross to the far post. Sophomore Omar Gonzalez was there waiting and his header just missed high over the crossbar.

Eight minutes later, it was Zusi who sent a header towards goal but barely missed wide after junior Rich Costanzo set him up with some fancy footwork. Senior Stephen King also got in on the action at the 18:21 mark when he made a move around two Stony Brook defenders to free himself up for a shot. His low blast was directed right at Dawid Ditrich who made the save.

Ditrich came up with one of his best saves of the night a half hour into the contest after Costanzo sent a pass into the box from the midfield area. His pass was perfect, finding sophomore Jeremy Hall on the left side of the box. Hall redirected a shot towards the right side, but Ditrich made the fingertip save to keep the Terps off the board.

Cortes started to get in on the action late in the first half and early in the second and became someone the Seawolves had to watch. He got a shot on goal that Ditrich saved late in the first and was part of another Maryland scoring chance early in the second as Zusi redirected one of his shots that just missed.

Cortes and the Terps finally found the back of the net in the 57th minute as Hall started the play with a throw-in deep in the attacking third on the left side. His short toss found Allen who decided to send a cross into the box. His pass reached Cortes at the far post who beat Ditrich to put Maryland up 1-0.

Stony Brook did not waste any time responding as they scored the equalizer just over four minutes later. The Seawolves were able to break free on a counterattack and Michael Palacio found a streaking Petar Rakovic down the right side. Rakovic handled the ball near the flag and sent in a cross. Mahamadou Simpara was waiting in the box and the pass hit him, and Simpara tucked a header into the left side netting for the game-tying goal.

Maryland continued to control the pace of the game and came up with a few more scoring chances but were unable to find its second goal.

Freshman keeper Thorne Holder recorded three saves in his fourth start while Ditrich stopped five shots for the Seawolves (6-3-1).

The Terps (3-4-2) return to ACC play on Friday, October 5 when they host Clemson at 8:00 p.m. at Ludwig Field. The match will be televised internationally by Fox Soccer Channel.