Terps Fall at George Mason

Maryland Athletics
Print RSS

Sept. 30, 2009

Box Score

FAIRFAX, Va. - The No. 2 Maryland men's soccer team ran into a gritty George Mason team Tuesday night and fell 2-0 on the road at George Mason Stadium.

Victor Freeman found some space and picked up a deflection from 12 yards out then planted the strike past a diving Zac MacMath to the left side for a Patriot 1-0 lead in the 20th minute. The goal was the only score Maryland has surrendered in the first half this season.

George Mason midfielder Ryan Gracia was issued a red card for a dangerous play on Terrapin defender Alex Lee, giving Maryland a man-up advantage with 4:26 remaining in the first half.

The Patriots opened up the second stanza with another goal at 46:07 when Freeman sent a cross to the left side for Draymond Washington, who laid out and headed the ball to the right side of the net for a 2-0 advantage.

Maryland picked up the pace of its offense midway through the second period as Paul Torres had a pair narrowly miss the back of the net. His long-range blast slammed the upper left side of the crossbar in the 52nd minute and three minutes later the sophomore's shot went high right after being blocked out by outstretched Patriot goalkeeper Sean Kelley.

The Terps continued to control possession as John Stertzer had a shot nearly miss wide left of the keeper in the 77th minute. Maryland got three last shots when in the 87th minute Matt Kassel lined up for a free kick but his shot went wide. Kassel worked to convert another free kick one minute later but his strike was blocked and a follow-up shot by Billy Cortes went directly into the arms of Kelley.

The Terps out-shot George Mason, 15-10, including a decisive 10-3 advantage in the second half.

"It was a very un-Maryland like performance tonight and I take full responsibility for not having us ready today," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "We just weren't very connected today."

Maryland will look to rebound when it plays at Duke on Friday. Game time is 7 p.m.