Hoosiers Edge Terps In Overtime, 3-2

Dec. 10, 2004

Box Score

CARSON, Calif. -- Indiana's John Michael Hayden scored on a header with just 48 seconds remaining in the second overtime to give the Hoosiers a 3-2 win over the Maryland Terrapins Friday night at The Home Depot Center.

The Terps finish the season 17-6-2, while Indiana (18-4-1) advances to the national championship game on Sunday.

Jason Garey gave Maryland the 1-0 lead after Abe Thompson made a great individual effort on the ball. Thompson worked outside the right corner of the box. Thompson then sent a short cross to the front of the goal before he fell to the ground holding off an Indiana defender that Garey was able to redirect into the net.

Garey's goal gave him 22 on the year and 53 points, a new Maryland record.

Goalkeeper Noah Palmer did well to keep Indiana off the board in the first half. Palmer got his finger on a shot by John Michael Hayden that hit the crossbar and was then cleared out of danger. He also made a big save on a Josh Tudela shot in the 22nd minute. Tudela fired from 20 yards and Palmer was forced to make a diving save in the top right corner to keep the score tied at 0-0.

The first half statistics demonstrated how even the game was. Each team had seven shots, Indiana made three saves compared to two for Maryland, and only four fouls were called in the first 45 minutes (three for Indiana, one for Maryland).

After Palmer came off his line to stuff a Brian Plotkin shot, the Hoosiers evened the score early in the 52nd minute on a free kick by Plotkin. Plotkin was on a run before he was fouled by a Maryland Terrapin just outside the box. Plotkin then took the free kick from 18 yards that found its way through the Maryland wall and into the lower right corner of the net.

Mike Ambersley put the Hoosiers ahead at 70:11 after making a move at the top of the box, moving to his right and getting the shot off. The shot was deflected off a Terp defender and went into the back of the net.

Palmer prevented a third Indiana goal just minutes later when he came out to stop Pat Yates who was on a breakaway. Palmer was able to get his body in front of the ball to keep the Terps down just one score.

Maurice Edu evened things up at 80:38 on a header off a corner kick from Michael Dello-Russo. It was the first time the Terps have scored directly off a corner. Edu was running toward the front post, got above the back line and headed the ball in the upper right 90. It was Edu's first goal since the first game of the season. Dello-Russo notched his

Neither team threatened seriously the rest of the way as the game headed into overtime. The second half showed an edge statistically for Indiana, as the Hoosiers fired 11 shots compared to just three for Maryland.

Ian Rodway made a great defensive play in overtime as Jacob Peterson weaved his way through the Terp back line into the box. Rodway came from behind and took the ball away and eventually cleared the ball out of trouble for Maryland.

With time running out in the second overtime, Danny O'Rourke worked on the left side of the Terrapin box before sending a cross into the box. Hayden made a strong run into the box and headed the ball into the net before Palmer could punch it away.

Palmer finished the game with a career-high tying eight saves. The Terps were outshot 24-10 and failed to get a shot off in either overtime period.