In conjunction with Maryland's historic move to the Big Ten Conference on July 1, Maryland athletics will be taking an in-depth look at its future Big Ten foes. Today we continue the series by profiling Penn State University.
June 2: Illinois; June 4: Indiana; June 6: Iowa; June 9: Michigan; June 11: Michigan State; June 13: Minnesota; June 16: Nebraska; June 18: Northwestern; June 20: Ohio State; June 23: Penn State; June 25: Purdue; June 27: Rutgers; June 30: Wisconsin
About Penn State
• Location: University Park, Pa.
• Founded: 1855
• Enrollment: 45,518
• President: Rodney Erickson
• Athletic Director: David Joyner
Penn State Athletics
• School Colors: Blue and White
• Nickname: Nittany Lions
• Joined Big Ten Conference: 1990
• Football Stadium (capacity): Beaver Stadium (106,572)
• Basketball Arena (capacity): Bryce Jordan Center (15,261)
• Varsity Teams: 31
• Most Successful Sport: Fencing - 13 national titles
• First B1G event at Maryland: October 11, 2014 - Field hockey
• All-time basketball record: 1377-1084-1 (.560)
• Conference Championships: 0
• Head Coach: Patrick Chambers
• All-time football record: 730-370-42** (.658)
• Conference/National Championships: 1*/2
• Head Coach: James Franklin
* 2 Big Ten championships vacated
**112 wins vacated by NCAA
Notable Former Athletes
• Basketball: Jesse Arnelle, Talor Battle, Joe Crispin, Calvin Booth, John Amaechi
• Football: NaVarro Bowman, Robbie Gould, A.Q. Shipley, Chuck Fusina, Larry Johnson, Kerry Collins, Joe Paterno (coach), Jack Ham, Franco Harris
• Rick Santorum: politician
• Margaret Carlson: journalist -- first female columnist at TIME magazine
• Mark Parker: CEO of Nike, Inc.
Fun Fact: "THON"
Short for the Penn State's Pan-Hellenic Dance MaraTHON, THON is one of the biggest weekends throughout the school year and the largest student-run philanthropy in the world. According to the Penn State website, this is a 46-hour dance marathon benefitting The Four Diamonds Fund at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital.
It all started in 1973 when a small group of Penn State students gathered in February for a 'Dance Marathon,' raising over $2000. In 2011, the campus as a whole raised over $9.5 million for the kids.
During "family hour," young patients are inducted into the Four Diamonds Foundation, followed by a sea of bright colors and a warm party atmosphere, which brings the whole Bryce Jordan Center together.