Faceoff between Maryland and Cornell is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium
Faceoff between Maryland and Colgate is scheduled for noon at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium
Faceoff between Maryland and Virginia is scheduled for 5 p.m. at UNC's Kenan Stadium.
• Preseason Honorable Mention All-American by Inside Lacrosse/Face-Off Magazine and 360lacrosse.com.
• Finished career with an 18-game point scoring streak dating to the 2001 season.
• Has seven multi-point games this season for 21 in his career, has six multi-goal games this season for 17 in his career.
• Tied for team lead with Nate Watkins in goals (24), led team in shots (115).
• Has scored goals in same game as brother Mike 13 times (six last season and seven this year) as they combined for nine at UMBC (5/4).
• Career game with six goals amd two assists for eight points at UMBC (5/4) in college finale -- all career highs.
• Assisted younger brother Dan on pair of extra-man goals bringing career hook-ups to nine for the brothers.
• Had extra-man goal and game-winning goal at UMBC, also.
• Pair of goals vs. Yale (4/26) on Senior Night.
• Scored off a pass from brother Dan for 7th time at Hopkins (4/13).
• Scored game-winning goal vs. Navy (4/5) in late third quarter.
• Netted 12th goal of season vs. Virginia (3/30).
• Kept scoring streak alive with man-up goal at UNC (3/23).
• Two goals (one from brother Dan) & assist vs. Delaware (3/16).
• Scored at Bucknell (3/12), the ninth time the brothers scored in the same game.
• Seventh career hat trick against Towson (3/9), including game-winning goal. Scored off passes from brother Dan twice vs. Towson, bringing career hook-ups to five.
• Netted two goals at Duke (3/2), including third-quarter tally from brother Dan -- third time he has assisted his older brother.
On LaMonica: Preseason honorable mention All-American by Inside Lacrosse’s Face-Off Magazine … a senior captain along with Andy Burman, Mike Morsell and Nate Watkins … a returning first-line midfielder, who will also see some time as an attacker this season … a key player in regards to the Terps' success according to Cottle, who will be asked to play more than one role … an established offensive threat because of his left-handed presence … will be a key on the man-up unit and expected to carry the goal-scoring load … possesses outstanding quickness … tremendous dodger … played for the United States U-19 national team in summer of 1999 … playing his second year with his younger brother Dan on offense at Maryland … the duo scored in the same game six times last year.
As a junior (2001): Played in all 16 games running on the first midfield … scored 15 goals and added five assists for 20 points … scored goals in nine of 16 games … five multi-point games … scored three goals, including the game-winner and assisted another as the Terps won at Denver (2/25) … goal late in the first quarter came off an assist from brother Dan -- marking the brothers' first scoring connection … named to the Denver Pioneer Face-Off Classic All-Tournament Team … netted two goals and added an assist against Towson (3/10) … scored a goal and assisted another at Delaware (3/17) … scored single goals in three straight games at Navy (4/7), Johns Hopkins (4/14) and Virginia (4/20) in the ACC semifinals … scored second hat trick of the season in the ACC title game vs. Duke (4/22) … named to the ACC All-Tournament Team … third three-goal game of the season came at Yale (4/28) … scored goal in regular-season finale vs. UMBC (5/5) … assisted a Chris Malone goal against Towson (5/20) in the NCAA quarterfinals.
As a sophomore (2000): Provided immediate impact in first year as a first-line midfielder, recording 20 goals (third most on the team) … sixth-leading point scorer with 23 … led the team in extra-man goals with five … second on the team in shots with 88 … began the year with goals in five consecutive games, giving him a streak of seven dating to the end of the 1999 season … six multi-point games and four multi-goal games… goals in 13 of 16 games … tallied one goal in each of the first three games of 2000 against Mount St. Mary’s (2/27), Duke (3/4) and Bucknell (3/7) … posted career-high four goals against Towson (3/11), all of which came in the first half, including an extra-man tally … continued goal-scoring binge with two more against Delaware (3/15), both of which were extra-man goals … after being held scoreless against Cornell (3/18) ending his scoring streak, came back with third career hat trick at North Carolina (3/25) … third goal against the Heels provided the game-winner in spectacular fashion as he took a behind the back pass from Marcus LaChapelle and scored to give Maryland a 10-8 lead with 7:38 left in regulation … scored against Navy (4/8) … posted first two assists after starting the year with 13 goals at Johns Hopkins (4/16) … scored single goals in three straight games against Duke (4/21) in the ACC semifinals, Virginia (4/23) in the ACC final and Yale (4/28) … notched ninth career multi-point game with goal and assist at UMBC (5/6) … tallied twice in NCAA first round win over Hofstra (5/14) … pair of goals gave him seven career multi-goal games ... finished season with 20th goal against Princeton (5/20) in the NCAA quarterfinals.
Summer of 1999: Helped lead United States Under-19 National Team to world championship in Adelaide, South Australia … finished seven-game tournament with five goals and five assists for 10 points … U-19 teammate of Maryland fellow sophomore Nate Watkins and younger brother Dan LaMonica.
As a freshman (1999): Led all Maryland freshmen in scoring with nine goals and 11 points … three multi-goal and four multi-point games … played in 13 of 14 games, making lone start against Virginia (4/23) in ACC semifinals … opened college career with two goals in each of first two games, in wins over Denver (2/25) and Providence (2/27) … tallied career-high three goals against Penn State (3/17), including first-career extra-man goal … recorded fourth multi-point game against Dartmouth (3/23), including first career assist … closed out season with goals against Towson (5/5) and UMBC (5/8) … took 37 shots and scooped up 15 groundballs.
Before Maryland: Three-sport performer at Calvert Hall High School in Towson, Md. … lettered in lacrosse four times under coach Brian Kelly … played in the Best of Maryland vs. Best of New York Lacrosse All-Star Game as a junior and senior … lettered in football twice playing quarterback … spent two seasons on the wrestling squad.
Personal: Michael Paul LaMonica … born Oct. 15, 1979 in Maryland … son of Lynda Filbert and Tom LaMonica …brother of Dan (19), joined him to play lacrosse at Maryland last season … mother is gymnastics coach at Towson … majoring in art studio.
Hat Tricks (6)
3 vs. Penn State (3/17/99) 4 vs. Towson (3/11/00) 3 vs. North Carolina (3/25/00) 3 at Denver (2/25/01) 3 vs. Duke (4/22/01) 3 at Yale (4/28/01)
Multi Goal/Point Games
1999 3/4 2000 4/6 2001 4/5 Career 11/15
Goals: 4 vs. Towson (3/11/00) Assists: 2 vs. Johns Hopkins (4/16/00) Points: 4 vs. Towson (3/11/00) & at Denver (2/25/01)
Year GP/GS Goals Asst. Pts. Shots EMG GWG GB Pen. PIM 1999 13/1 9 2 11 37 0 0 15 0 0:00 2000 16/0 20 3 23 88 5 1 26 2 2:00 2001 16/0 15 5 20 68 2 1 13 1 1:00 2002 13/13 24 4 28 115 2 3 36 2 2:00 Totals 58/14 68 14 82 308 9 5 90 5 5:00