No. 5 Terps Erase Five-Goal Deficit, But Fall To No. 4 Georgetown 8-6

Feb. 24, 2007

Complete Results |  Photo Gallery 

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The fifth-ranked University of Maryland men's lacrosse team erased a five-goal halftime deficit, but came up short in its 8-6 loss to fourth-ranked Georgetown in front of a sellout crowd at the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex Saturday afternoon.

The Hoyas jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first quarter before junior attackman Max Ritz got the Terps on the board with an unassisted goal at the 6:12 mark. Georgetown would build its lead to 6-1 going into halftime by scoring four unanswered goals, capped off by Andrew Brancaccio's third goal of the game at 4:16 of the second quarter.

But Brancaccio's third and final goal of the game may have been the turning point for Maryland. Terps' sophomore attackman Danny Gallagher was penalized for an illegal equipment violation and was assessed a 3:00 unreleasable penalty. Maryland's defense rose to the occasion, allowing just one goal in those three minutes to swing the momentum back to the Terps heading into the second half.

That was the beginning of a Georgetown scoreless drought that lasted for 25:14, which allowed the Terrapin offense the space it needed to make a 5-0 run to tie the game at 6-6 with 13:14 left in the game.

Once again it was Ritz that sparked the Maryland offense. The Wayne, Pa., native scored back-to-back goals just two minutes apart for his third career hat trick. Ritz figured in on the next Maryland score, assisting on senior Michael Phipps' man-up goal to bring the Terps to within two goals at 6-4.

Maryland closed out its third-quarter scoring barrage with a bang at the 4:06 mark with freshman long pole Brian Farrell's third goal of the season. Fellow freshman Bryn Holmes started the play by causing a turnover that was picked up by Farrell. The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Farrell then raced the length of the field and beat Hoya goalie Miles Kass with a bouncing shot.

The Terps closed the scoring gap completely with their second man-up goal of the game at the 13:04 mark. Senior midfielder Chris Feifs scored his second goal of the year off of another assist from Ritz.

The Hoyas finally put an end to their scoreless stretch at the 9:02 mark of the fourth to take a 7-6 lead. Dan D'Agnes scored the eventual game-winner, his second goal of the game, off of Andrew Baird's second assist on the afternoon.

With Georgetown clinging to a 7-6 lead, the Terps appeared to tie the game again with 6:44 left in the fourth quarter. Junior midfielder Drew Evans dodged around a Hoya defender and beat Kass over his left shoulder, but officials ruled him to have stepped in the crease, nullifying the goal.

Brendan Cannon picked up his lone goal of the game with 25 seconds remaining on an empty-net shot to cap the scoring at 8-6 and give the Hoyas their first-ever win over Maryland in seven tries.

Defensively, the Terps were led by All-American Steve Whittenberg, who caused five Georgetown turnovers and picked up three groundballs. Senior All-America candidate Ryan Clarke had another impressive game for the Terps, causing two turnovers and picking up five groundballs. Bryn Holmes, who started in the defensive midfield for the Terps in place of the injured Jeff Reynolds, caused three turnovers and picked up a groundball. Maryland's other starting defensive midfielder, Jimmy Borell, playing in his first game of the season after sitting out the Terps' first two contests due to a hand injury, picked up four groundballs. Freshman goalie Brian Phipps made nine saves on the afternoon for Maryland.

Maryland (2-1) returns to action on Friday, March 2, when it hosts No. 6 Duke in both teams' ACC opener. That game is scheduled for a 7:30 p.m. start at Byrd Stadium and will be televised locally on WMAR-TV in Baltimore and nationally on ESPNU.

Game Notes:
• With today's 8-6 loss Maryland is now 6-1 all-time vs. Georgetown.

• With three goals and two assists Max Ritz now has three hat tricks, 10 multi-goal and 15 multi-point games in his career.

• The five-point game is also Ritz's fourth-straight game with multiple points and his third straight with at least three points.

• Sophomore Nick Ward picked up his first career assist on Ritz's third goal of the game.

• The Terrapin defense held the Hoyas without a goal for 25:14, which is the third-straight game this season that Maryland has held an opponent scoreless for 20+ minutes.

• Maryland's "D" also shutout the Hoyas in the third quarter, giving the Terps its third shuout quarter of the season.