Ninth-ranked Terps Drub Mount St. Mary's 18-3

March 20, 2007

Complete Results

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The ninth-ranked University of Maryland men's lacrosse team scored early and often en route to an 18-3 drubbing of Mount St. Mary's Tuesday afternoon at Ludwig Field.

Senior attackman Michael Phipps got the ball rolling for the Terps with his first of three goals at the 11:52 mark. The Mount looked to make a game of it a couple of minutes later when Joe Bello converted on an extra-man opportunity off an assist from Ben Mundorff.

But that was as close as the Mount would get. Maryland rattled off six goals before Bello would pick up the Mount's second goal.

Phipps picked up assists on the Terps' next two goals from midfielders Drew Evans and Adam Sear. Evans scored another unassisted goal to give Maryland a 4-1 lead. Jon Beard scored his first of the season off an assist from freshman midfielder Casey Creaney to close the first quarter.

Senior midfielder Chris Feifs took a sharp skip pass from sophomore line-mate Dan Groot in the right alley and buried a bounce-shot from nine yards out to open the second quarter scoring. Groot found the net himself next for the Terps, beating Mountaineer goalie Joe Zolezzi, who finished with 12 of the Mount's 22 saves, with a runner down the left alley.

Bello gave the Mount their second score of the day at the 9:28 mark. But Maryland would go on a 10-0 run following that goal, during which the Terps held the Mount scoreless for 37:29.

Sear scored his second of the game to kick off the scoring run off Phipps' third assist. Sophomore defensive midfielder Spencer McAllister created the next Terp score as he caused the turnover, picked up the groundball, pushed the ball up the field and flipped a quick shot past Zolezzi for his first career goal. That finished the first half scoring with the Terps taking a 9-2 lead into halftime.

Maryland came out quickly in the third quarter with Phipps finishing off a seven-point game with a pair of goals and an assist in the first five minutes of the period. Great ball movement set up Phipps' second goal of the game. Groot sent a sharp pass to junior All-America candidate Max Ritz behind the cage, who quickly found an open Phipps of the right side with a picture-perfect pass that allowed Phipps to easily beat Mount back-up goalie Chris Channing with a low shot.

Phipps was on the giving end of the next goal, sending a nifty pass from behind the cage to sophomore Danny Gallagher, who lost his defender with a well-timed cut to the front of the crease.

Ritz and Phipps hooked up one more time on the Terps' next score and once again sharp passing led to an easy goal. This time it was Sear starting the play, sending a quick pass to Ritz behind Mount St. Mary's goal. Ritz then laced a pin-point pass to Phipps who was darting down the right alley. Phipps buried the shot for his third goal of the game to make the score 12-2 for the Terps.

Four of Maryland's final six goals were career firsts. Freshman Fran Gormley kept up the scoring barrage with his first career goal at the 5:38 mark of the third quarter. The 5-foot-7 attackman used a spin dodge on the left side of the crease to separate from his defender enough to get off a tough shot into the top right corner of the Mount goal.

Junior face-off man Will Dalton scored an unassisted goal off the fourth-quarter face-off to bring the Terrapin lead to 14-2.

After that a pair of defenders got some time on the offensive end and broke into the scoring column for the Terps. Sophomore Chris Rhine, who has played long pole and short-stick defensive midfielder this season, scored his first of two goals off an assist from sophomore attackman Scott Tompkins.

In between Rhines' two goals, junior defender Zach Hinton, who is a close defender that has also played long pole and short-stick this year, scored his first collegiate goal off an assist from Beard.

After the Mount got back into the scoring with an extra-man goal by Dave Orban, the Terps closed out the scoring with Tompkins feeding Creaney for his first career goal.

Maryland's defense turned in a dominating effort. Fourteen Terps combined to force 19 Mountaineer turnovers. Leading the way were senior All-American Ray Megill, juniors Ryne Adolph and Jacob Baxter, McAllister and Tompkins with two caused turnovers apiece.

Freshman goalie Brian Phipps was only called on to make two saves in the contest in just more than 35 minutes of action.

Phipps was replaced in the third quarter by senior All-American Harry Alford, who made his first appearance of the season. Alford missed the first seven games of the season after undergoing off-season shoulder surgery. He looked sharp in 14 minutes of action, stopping two shots and not allowing a goal.

Junior Nick Kellinger played the final 10:20 of the game, making one stop and allowing just one extra-man goal.

Maryland was also solid at the X with five Terps combining to win 18-of-24 face-offs. Dalton led the charge winning 10-of-14. Thomas Alford, who also picked up an assist on Rhine's second goal, and Creaney each won 3-of-4. Freshman Bryn Holmes and graduate student Paul Andrews each won their only draw.

Maryland returns to action with a conference showdown on Saturday, March 24 against the No. 11 Tar Heels of North Carolina. That game is slated for a 12 noon start at Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stadium.

Game Notes:
• With today's 18-3 win Maryland is 7-0 all-time vs. Mount St. Mary's.

• With two assists Max Ritz now has 20 multi-point games in his career.

• The two-point game is also Ritz's ninth-straight game with multiple points, but snaps his seventh-game streak with at least three points.

Michael Phipps pushed his point-scoring streak to nine games with his seven-point effort.

• Phipps' three goals and four assists give him three hat tricks, eight multi-goal, 17 multi-point and eight multi-assist games in his career.

Adam Sear extended his point-scoring streak to five games with a pair of goals.

Chris Rhine (2), Zach Hinton, Fran Gormley, Casey Creaney and Spencer McAllister each scored their first career goals.

• The Terrapin defense held the Mount without a goal for 37:29 spanning the second, third and fourth quarters. That makes seven times this season that Maryland has held an opponent scoreless for 20+ minutes.

• Maryland's "D" also shutout the Mount in the third quarter, giving the Terps their eighth shutout quarter of the season.