Terps Title Hopes Dashed By Princeton 9-8 In OT

May 22, 2004

Final Stats| Quotes | Photo Gallery

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Princeton's Peter Trombino ended Maryland's 2004 lacrosse title hopes in heartbreak, scoring the game-winning goal 1:42 into overtime to send the Tigers to their fourth semifinal appearance in the last five years, coming from behind to beat the Terps 9-8 Saturday before 2,869 at Scott Stadium in Charlottesville.

Ryan Boyle scored two goals in a frenetic final two minutes of regulation to forge an 8-8 tie after Maryland senior J.R. Bordley (Vienna, Va.) broke a 6-6 tie by slam-dunking two goals to give the Terps a two-goal edge.

With Princeton leading 6-5 late in the third quarter, Bill McGlone (Swarthmore, Pa.) knotted the game on his 25th goal of the season. Just 15 seconds later, after Xander Ritz (Wayne, Pa.) secured a face-off win, Paul Gillette (Millersville, Md.) found Bordley uncovered in front of a helpless Dave Law to put Maryland on top 7-6 with 2:06 remaining in the third quarter.

McGlone forced a turnover on Princeton's Jared Keating to set the stage for Bordley's second goal. Sophomore sensation Joe Walters (Rochester, N.Y.), who tallied a goal and an assist, found a streaking Bordley racing toward Law on a breakaway. Several dekes later, Maryland had an 8-6 lead and all the momentum with 10:26 remaining in regulation.

But a late-game flurry by Princeton would spell disaster for the Terps. Boyle found paydirt with 1:55 left and in a frantic attempt to force overtime, Boyle picked up a loose ball and scored with just 12 seconds remaining to dash Maryland's Final Four aspirations.

Maryland obtained an early lead through disciplined play, having no forced turnovers, failed clears or penalties in nearly the first 20 minutes of action.

Brendan Healy (Great Falls, Va.) was first to dent the scoreboard, ripping a 10-yard laser from the left slot past Law with 7:48 remaining in the first quarter. Walters doubled the Terps' edge less than a minute later, fighting for position in front of the cage and squeezing a shot past Law for a 2-0 lead.

Whitney Hayes cut the Terrapin lead in half with 4:51 remaining in the quarter on a wraparound shot.

Healy netted his second unassisted tally of the game - and 18th of the season - separating from Tiger defender Grant Hewit with a stutter-step move to put the Terps on top 3-1 2:35 into the second stanza.

Princeton would shift the momentum, scoring the quarter's last three goals to go up 4-3 at the half. Jim O'Brien went five-hole on Maryland netminder Tim McGinnis (Ellicott City, Md.) and the Tigers' top two scorers, Boyle and Jason Doneger, theretofore shut down by All-American defensemen Chris Passavia (Stony Brook, N.Y.) and Lee Zink (Rowayton, Conn.), connected with 4:37 remaining to even the contest at 3. Doneger gave Princeton its first lead on a man-up goal with 3:16 remaining in the half. Drew Casino found Doneger in the slot, who turned and fired a low shot that found twine.

Maryland finishes the season at 13-3, while Princeton -- 11-3 on the season -- will move on to the Final Four next weekend in Baltimore to play either No. 2 Navy or No. 7 Cornell.

Earlier in the day, top-seeded Johns Hopkins rolled over No. 8 North Carolina 15-9 to advance to the Final Four for the fifth time in six seasons.