The No. 15 Maryland Terrapin women’s soccer team hosts a pair of matches this weekend at Ludwig Field. The Terps kick off the weekend vs. George Mason on Friday and finish up their four-game season-opening home stand vs. Navy on Sunday. Both matches are set for a 7 p.m. start and will be streamed live on TerpsTV.
• Did you know ... the last time Maryland opened a season with consecutive home wins was 2010 when the Terps topped Iona, 6-0, and Minnesota, 3-2.
• BONUS Did you know ... Maryland's 13 goals is the most-ever in the team's first two games of a season. The previous high was 11 goals in 1995 with a 6-0 win over Virginia Tech and a 5-0 win at George Mason.
Ticket Information• Season tickets for Maryland women's and men's soccer matches are available online by clicking here. Tickets for 10 women's and 10 men's matches are just $69 for adults and $39 for youth or seniors. A Familty 4Pak is also available for $43.75.
• Tickets for the Maryland-George Mason and Navy matches are available also online by clicking here. Tickets are $6 for adults and $4 for youth or seniors. Tickets are also available at Ludwig Field one hour prior to kick off.
Game Promotions• Maryland Women’s Soccer would like to see YOU at Ludwig Field this season! See the Terps game day promotion schedule below. Make sure to check back often as promotion dates and details are subject to change. For more information contact Jordan Looby by phone at (301) 314-7162 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, August 30 vs. George Mason at 7 p.m.
Youth Soccer Night -- All youth soccer players will be able to purchase $3 discount tickets if they wear their team’s soccer jersey to the game!
Sunday, September 1 vs. Navy at 7 p.m.
Youth Soccer Night-- All youth soccer players will be able to purchase $3 discount tickets if they wear their team’s soccer jersey to the game!
Military Appreciation Day – Members of the military will receive complimentary admission upon presentation of a military ID and will be recognized at halftime.
Autograph Session -- Fans will be invited to participate in an autograph session with the team after the night’s game!
Parking Information• General Information: After 4 p.m. on weekdays and on weekends, there is no charge for parking in Lots Z1 or 1b or in Regents Drive Garage. Lots R2 and R3 are limited to vehicles displaying current valid permits for the respective lots at all times. The Stadium Drive Garage is closed on weekends.
• Fans will be able to follow all of the action on umterps.com via LiveStats (link will be live at game time).
Women's Soccer LIVE on TerpsTV
• Up to eight (8) Maryland women's soccer matches will be streamed live on TerpsTV Premium in 2013, including both of this weekend's matches. Fans will be able to watch all of the action from anywhere by subscribing to TerpsTV.
• A subscription to TerpsTV also includes live events for men's soccer, field hockey, volleyball in the fall, as well as weekly football press conferences and live events during the winter and spring seasons.
|Maryland's Probable Starters|
|F||8||Ashley Spivey||So.||5-8||Sparrows Point, Md.||2/2||3||2||8|
|M||10||Riley Barger||So.||5-3||Baldwin, Md.||2/2||0||1||1|
|M||11||Lauren Berman||Fr.||5-3||Canton, Mass.||2/2||1||2||4|
|D||15||Erika Nelson||So.||5-9||Albuquerque, N.M.||2/2||0||0||0|
|D||16||Megan Gibbons||R-Sr.||5-6||Ellicott City, Md.||2/2||0||1||1|
|D||22||Shade Pratt||Jr.||5-7||Germantown, Md.||2/2||0||0||0|
|F||27||Hayley Brock||Sr.||5-8||Acton, Mass.||2/2||4||1||9|
|M||31||Erika Joab||So.||5-6||Monclair, N.J.||2/2||1||0||2|
|D||73||Shannon Collins||So.||5-6||La Plata, Md.||2/2||0||2||2|
|33||Rachelle Beanlands||So.||5-9||Ottawa, Ontario||2/2||1.33||1||2-0-0|
Scouting The Terps
• Maryland is 2-0-0 after opening the season with a 9-0 win vs. The Citadel on Aug. 23. The Terps are No. 15 in the latest NSCAA poll and No. 17 in both the Soccer America and TopDrawerSoccer.com polls.
|2013 Maryland Terrapins: 2-0-0, 0-0-0 ACC|
|(Soccer America #17 NSCAA #15, TopDrawerSoccer.com #17)|
|Digital Media Guide|
• Maryland has played just one exhibition prior to the season opener, defeating Loyola 3-1. The Terps dominated their in-state foes, outshooting the Greyhounds 28-6. Maryland scored the lone goal of the first half in the 31st minute when sophomore Ashley Spivey finished a pass from sophomore Riley Barger. After Loyola tied the score early in the second half, sophomore Maisie McCune got on the end of a corner kick from sophomore Shannon Collins to score the game-winner off a perfect header into the upper left 90 in the 72nd minute. Junior Alex Doody finished a cross from freshman Natasha Ntone-Kouo in the 77th minute to add an insurance goal.
• The Terps opened the season with a 9-0 shutout of The Citadel (recap | stats) on Aug 23. Sophomore Ashley Spivey set career highs with her first career hat trick and seven total points. Freshman Lauren Berman made her collegiate deubt a memorable one with a goal and two assists. Senior Hayley Brock had a goal and an assist, while sophmore Shannon Collins had two assists in the victory, which was Maryland's highest-scoring win since Aug. 22, 2011 when the Terps topped Loyola, 9-0.
• Maryland fell behind 2-0 early in the first half against Villanova on Aug. 26, but a late hat trick from senior Hayley Brock lifted the Terps to a 4-2 win over the Wildcats (recap | stats). Junior Cory Ryan scored before halftime to cut Nova's lead to one goal heading into the second half. The Wildcats went down a player when Kathryn Rayner was sent off with a red card in the 52nd minute. But Maryland couldn't capitalize until Brock scored three times from the 83rd to the 87th minutes to give the Terps the win.
Scouting The Patriots
• George Mason is 0-0-1 so far in 2013 following its 1-1 tie with William & Mary in the season opener on Aug. 25. The Patriots are coming off of a 7-11-1 season in 2012, which also saw GMU go 1-8-1 on the road.
|2013 George Mason Patriots: 0-0-1, 0-0-0 Atlantic 10|
|(Soccer America NR, NSCAA NR, TopDrawerSoccer.com NR)|
• The Patriots return their second leading scorer from 2012 in junior forward Liz Hodges, who had 14 points on seven goals. Senior goalkeeper Lyndse Hokanson played 17 games in net for the Patriots last season and had a 1.48 goals-against average.
• Senior forward Casey Vornadore scored to give GMU a 1-0 lead in the Patriots' opener vs. William & Mary, but the Tribe scored in the 65th minute to tie the match at 1-1, which is how it would end. Hokanson made six saves for George Mason, while redshirt sophomore Briana Kottler made three in relief for the Patriots, which also got two team saves to preserve the result.
Series History vs. George Mason
• Maryland and George Mason have played 20 times previously with the Terps holding a 14-5-1 series edge.
• The last time the two teams met in College Park was 2010 and Maryland pulled out a 2-1 ovetime win over the Patriots thanks to a pair of goals by Jasmyne Spencer.
Scouting The Midshipmen
• Navy is 1-1-0 after the first week of play following a season-opening loss to NC State and a win over The Citadel. The Mids host North Florida on Friday, Aug. 30 before coming to College Park for the 7 p.m. match on Sunday.
|2013 Navy Midshipmen: 1-1-0, 0-0-0 Patriot League|
|(Soccer America NR, NSCAA NR, TopDrawerSoccer.com NR)|
• The Mids opened the 2013 season with a 3-2 home loss to NC State on Aug. 23. Navy led 1-0 at the half, but surrendered three straight goals in a 10 minute span early in the second half to fall behind the Wolfpack.
• Navy rebounded with a 5-0 win over The Citadel on Aug. 25 that saw the Mids score three first half goals. Navy out-shot the Bulldogs 29-1.
Series History vs. Navy
• This will be the ninth meeting all-time between Maryland and Navy. The Terps have won all eight of the previous meetings, including 3-0 wins in College Park in 2011 and in Annapolis last season.
• The Terrapins opened the 2012 season with a 3-0 shutout at Navy (recap | stats) that featured a one-hour 46-minute lightning delay. Becky Kaplan scored the first two goals of the season for Maryland, while Alex Reed tallied the insurance goal. Four freshmen - Aubrey Baker, Riley Barger, Shannon Collins and Sarah Molina - recorded assists in their first collegiate games.
Head Coach Jonathan Morgan• Jonathan Morgan is in his second season at the helm of the Maryland women’s soccer program after spending the previous five seasons on the Terrapin sideline as an assistant coach. He is 16-7-2 (.680) as the Terps’ head coach.
Hat Trick History
• Sophomore Ashley Spivey opened the 2013 season with a hat trick in the Terps' 9-0 win over The Citadel. Senior Hayley Brock followed that performance with a natural hat trick in Maryland's 4-2 come-from-behind win over Villanova on Aug. 26. Those two performances mark the first time in the Maryland women's soccer program's 27-year history that back-to-back hat tricks have been posted.
|Hat Tricks In The Past 20 Seasons (Since '94)|
|3, Hayley Brock vs. Villanova (8/26/13)|
|3, Ashley Spivey vs. The Citadel (8/23/13)|
|3, Becky Kaplan at Loyola (8/22/11)|
|4, Sara Gustafson vs. Howard (10/11/00)|
|3, Keri Sarver vs. Fairfield (11/11/98)|
|4, Emmy Harbo at LSU (10/31/98)|
|3, Keri Sarver at Colorado (9/27/98)|
|3, Keri Sarver vs. NC State (9/20/98)|
|3, Robin McCullough at NC State (11/4/97)|
|3, Keri Sarver vs. Wright State (9/1/97)|
|3, Emmy Harbo vs. Navy (10/22/96)|
|3, Keri Sarver vs. George Washington (9/4/96)|
Terps In Overtime
• Maryland has played in 97 overtime games in its 26-year history. The Terps’ all-time record in those overtime games is 29-25-43 (.521).
• The Terrapins have played in eight overtime games in the ACC tournament and have a 3-1-4 mark in those games. Maryland won the shootout in three of the four games it tied in the ACC tournament.
Terps Toppling Top 10 Teams
• Maryland has defeated a Top 10 ranked team 21 times in its history. The Terps' most memorable Top 10 victory, 2-1 at No. 2 North Carolina on Oct. 24, tied for he highest ranked opponent ever defeated by Maryland. The Terrapins defeated No. 2 Boston College on Oct. 7 in Chestnut Hill, Mass. Those two victories mark the first time in program history that Maryland has defeated two Top 10 teams in a single month. The Terps then added to that with another 2-1 win over No. 8 Florida State on Oct. 28. The latest Top 10 win for the Terps came on Nov.. 2, 2012 in the ACC semifianls at the WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C., when Maryland defeated No. 6 Wake Forest, 2-0. That marked the Terps' first shutout of a top 10 team since their 1-0 win at No. 10 Tennessee in the 2006 season opener.Earlier this season, the Terps topped No. 6 North Carolina on Sept. 13, 2012 to become the first team in history to defeat the Tar Heels three straight times in three consecutive seasons. Here's a list of all of the Terps' Top 10 wins:
|Nov. 2, 2012||vs. #6 Wake Forest||2-0|
|Sept. 27, 2012||#3 Virginia||3-1|
|Sept. 13, 2012||#6 North Carolina||2-1|
|Oct. 27, 2011||#8 North Carolina||2-1 OT|
|Oct. 28, 2010||#8 Florida State||2-1|
|Oct. 24, 2010||at #2 North Carolina||2-1|
|Oct. 7, 2010||at #2 Boston College||2-1|
|Oct. 8, 2009||#6 Virginia Tech||3-1|
|Aug. 25, 2006||at #10 Tennessee||1-0|
|Nov. 14, 2004||at #5 Penn State||1-0|
|Oct. 23, 2004||#10 Duke||1-0 OT|
|Sept. 12, 2004||vs. #3 UCLA||2-1|
|Oct. 13, 2001||#8 Clemson||1-0 OT|
|Aug. 29, 2000||#4 Penn State||3-1|
|Oct. 17, 1999||#9 Clemson||2-1 OT|
|Sept. 19, 1999||at #9 Duke||4-3 OT|
|Sept. 18, 1998||#9 Duke||3-1|
|Nov. 7, 1997||vs. #8 Duke||2-1|
|Oct. 12, 1997||#9 Clemson||2-0|
|Oct. 1, 1995||#7 Duke||2-1|
|Oct. 8, 1993||#8 William & Mary||2-1|
Non-Conference Success• Dating back to its 10-0 win over Mount St. Mary's in 2008, Maryland has lost only four times in its last 42 matches vs. non-ACC opponents. The Terps have outscored its non-conference opposition 125-23 in those 42 matches.
• The Terps recorded 20 straight wins over non-ACC foes before tying Georgetown, 1-1, in second round of the NCAA tournament in 2010. Maryland is now 34-4-4 in its last 42 non-conference games. The Terps had been unbeaten in 31-straight non-conference games prior to losing, 1-0, at Oklahoma State in the Sweet 16 of the 2011 NCAA tournament. So far this season Maryland topped The Citadel, 9-0, in the season opener and beaten Villanova, 4-2.
124 And Counting At Ludwig Field
• The Terps won their 100th match at Ludwig Field with a 6-0 victory over Iona on Aug. 20, 2010. Since its opening in 1995, Ludwig Field has proved to be a tremendous home-field advantage for the Terps women’s soccer team. All-time Maryland is 124-50-21 (.695) at Ludwig Field.
• Through the seasons, the Terps have had a knack for shutting teams out at Ludwig Field. Maryland has won 77 of its 124 victories (62.1%) at Ludwig Field via shutout. Add in the 12 0-0 ties the Terps have had at Ludwig Field and it totals 89 times that Maryland has shutout its opponent in 195 games (45.6%).
The Last Time ...
|Totaled 20 or more points in game||28 vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|Totaled 15-19 points in a game||28 vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|Totaled 10-14 points in a game||11 vs. Villanova (4-2, 8/26/13)|
|Scored 10 or more goals in a game||10 vs. Mount St. Mary's (10-0, 9/21/08)|
|Scored seven, eight or nine goals in a game||9 vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|Scored six goals in a game||9 vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|Scored five goals in a game||9 vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|Scored four goals in a game||4 vs. Villanova (4-2, 8/26/13)|
|Scored three goals in a game||3 vs. Villanova (4-2, 8/26/13)|
|Had six or more assists in a game||10 vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|Had five assists in a game||10 vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|Took 30 or more shots in a game||34 vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|Took 20-29 shots in a game||22 vs. Villanova (4-2, 8/26/13)|
|Had 10 or more fouls in a game||10 vs. Denver (2-3, 11/16/12)|
|Won an overtime game||2-1 vs. Miami (2-1, 10/28/12)|
|A Maryland player totaled seven or more points||7, Ashley Spivey vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|A Maryland player totaled six points||6 Hayley Brock vs. Villanova (4-2, 8/26/13)|
|A Maryland player totaled five points||5, Olivia Wagner vs. Towson (5-0, 9/2/12)|
|A Maryland player totaled four points||4 Lauren Berman vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|A Maryland player totaled three points||3, Hayley Brock vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|A Maryland player scored four goals||4, Sara Gustafson vs. Howard (9-0, 10/11/00)|
|A Maryland player scored three goals||3, Hayley Brock vs. Villanova (4-2, 8/26/13)|
|A Maryland player scored two goals||3, Hayley Brock vs. Villanova (4-2, 8/26/13)|
|A Maryland player scored a goal in four straight games||Hayley Brock (11/10/12-8/26/13 - Stony Brook, Denver, The Citadel, Villanova)|
|A Maryland player scored a goal in three straight games||Hayley Brock (11/16/12-8/26/13 - Denver, The Citadel, Villanova)|
|A Maryland player scored the game-winning goal in three straight games||Hayley Brock (10/3-10/12 - Francis Marion, at NC State, at Boston College)|
|A Maryland player had assists in three straight games||Hayley Brock (8/31-9/6 - at George Mason, Towson, at Alabama)|
|A Maryland player had three assists||3, Ashley Grove at Loyola (9-0, 8/22/11)|
|A Maryland player had two assists||2, Shannon Collins vs. The Citadel (9-0, 8/23/13)|
|A Maryland player had 10 or more shots||10, Jasmyne Spencer vs. Missouri (3-2, 8/22/10)|
|A Maryland player had 5-9 shots||7, Hayley Brock vs. Villanova (4-2, 8/26/13)|
|A Maryland GK made 10 or more saves||11, Yewande Balogun vs. Stanford (0-0, 8/26/11)|
|Totaled 15-19 points in a game||16, at North Carolina (0-5, 9/28/08)|
|Totaled 10-14 points in a game||11, at Duke (1-3, 10/23/11)|
|Scored seven or more goals in a game||7, vs. Florida State (2-7, 11/8/01)|
|Scored six goals in a game||6, at Notre Dame (0-6, 9/4/05)|
|Scored five goals in a game||6, at Notre Dame (0-6, 9/4/05)|
|Scored four goals in a game||4, at Virginia (1-4, 9/15/11)|
|Scored three goals in a game||3, vs. Denver (2-3, 11/16/12)|
|Had six or more assists in a game||6, at North Carolina (0-5, 9/28/08)|
|Had five assists in a game||5, at Duke (10/23/11)|
|Took 30 or more shots in a game||37, vs. Duke (0-0, 10/14/06)|
|Took 20-29 shots in a game||22, at Duke (2-2, 9/20/12)|
|Had 10 or more fouls in a game||10 vs. Stony Brook (2-0, 11/10/12)|
|An opposing player totaled six or more points||6, Nicolette Digiacomo, Denver (2-3, 11/16/12)|
|An opposing player totaled five points||N/A|
|An opposing player totaled four points||4, Caroline Miller, Virginia (4-1, 9/15/11)|
|An opposing player totaled three points||3, Kelly Cobb, Duke (1-3, 10/23/11)|
|3, Mollie Pathman, Duke (1-3, 10/23/11)|
|An opposing player scored four goals||N/A|
|An opposing player scored three goals||3, Nicolette Digiacomo, Denver (2-3, 11/16/12)|
|An opposing player scored two goals||2, Kate Howarth, at Miami (1-2, 10/16/11)|
|An opposing player had three assists||3, Kacey White, North Carolina (1-3, 11/2/05)|
|An opposing player had two assists||3, Kacey White, North Carolina (1-3, 11/2/05)|
|An opposing player had 10 or more shots||9, Kristen Mewis, at Boston College (3-2, 10/11/12)|
|An opposing player had 5-9 shots||8, Nicolette Digiacomo, Denver (2-3, 11/16/12)|
|An opposing GK made 15 or more saves||17, Madison Shaw, NC State (3-0, 10/7/12)|
|An opposing GK made 10 or more saves||17, Madison Shaw, NC State (3-0, 10/7/12)|