Feb. 20, 2002
* Winners of their last four, the Maryland wrestling team (10-3, 1-2 ACC) travels to Charlottesville Wednesday to battle Virginia (10-3, 1-2 ACC) in their last ACC match of the season. Wednesday's match is the last dual meet of the season before the Terps head to Raleigh, N.C. to compete in the ACC Championships March 9.
* Maryland's all-time winningest wrestler, Brandon York (Gaithersburg, Md.), captured his 136th career victory Thursday. He became Maryland's all-time wins leader earlier this season with 130 victories, breaking Steve Peperak's record of 129 wins from 1984-1987. Thursday's win gives him 34 for the season, a team-high. The three-time ACC champion has won his last nine matches after having his 13-match winning streak broken against Navy on Jan. 16th. The senior co-captain holds a 9-1 record against Virginia wrestlers. York is the only regular starter with only one loss, sporting a 12-1 dual record on the year. He holds a career dual mark of 37-6.
* Virginia enters Wednesday's match coming off a 31-13 loss to NC State Sunday. The Cavaliers are led by 141-pounder Bob Seidel, who was honored as this week's ACC Wrestler of the Week, and Jimmi Massey who is the defending ACC champion at 184 pounds.
* Junior Jake Stork (Mohrsville, Pa.) is looking for his second victory against Massey this season after picking up a 9-7 decision over the Virginia wrestler to win the West Virginia Open title. Last season, Massey beat Stork on his way to an ACC championship. Earlier in the season, Stork recorded his team-high 15th fall of the season, a new career-high. He now has 45 pins in his Terrapin career. An NCAA qualifier last season, Stork has recorded 12 or more pins in each of his three seasons and one redshirt year.
* Senior Josh Weidman (Hershey, Pa.) propelled Maryland to a 22-15 victory over the Monarchs Thursday. With the Terps holding a slim six point edge with two bouts remaining, the 165-pounder pinned Ben Summerlin in 5:40 to seal the Terps' tenth victory of the season.
* Senior Joe Guzzio (Greensboro, N.C.) won his fourth straight match Thursday night with a 7-4 decision over Paul Jimenez of Old Dominion. He owns a 22-10 record on the year with nine falls, good for second on the team.
* Last week, Guzzio became the fourth Terrapin wrestler to claim ACC honors this season joining York, Stork and Weidman. His accolades also earned him Maryland Student-Athlete of the Week honors last week.
* Thursday's victory over Old Dominion gives the Terps a 9-1 non-conference record for the season. Their only out-of conference loss was to Navy on Jan. 16th. Last year, Maryland went 5-3 against non-conference opponents.