Jan. 11, 2002
THE WARRIOR DUALS
* The Maryland wrestling team will make their second trip to East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania Saturday to compete in the Warrior Wrestling Duals, joining the Virginia Millitary Institute, Binghamton, James Madison and host East Stroudsburg in the single day event.
* Maryland will face three schools Saturday in dual competiton, begining with the Virginia Millitary Institute at 11 a.m, at 1 p.m. the Terps will face Binghamton before ending the day with a 3 p.m. dual match against James Madison.
* Senior Brandon York (Gaithersburg, Md.) enters Saturday's meet on a tear. He has won his last 10 matches, earning titles at the Wilkes Open and Millersville Invitational at 141. The team leader in wins, York has a 22-4 mark this season at 141-pounds after winning three ACC championships at 133-pounds. The senior was also named the ACC's wrestler of the week on Monday.
* The Warrior Duals mark the opening of the dual season for the Terps, who will compete in 12 dual meets throughout the season.
YORK NAMED ACC WRESTLER OF THE WEEK AFTER TITLE IN MILLERSVILLE
* York won his second staright title at 141 in Millersville this past Saturday, earning four match victories to capture the crown. This came one week after his first title of the season at the Wilkes Open. His performance on Saturday earned him Most Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament and on Monday, he was named the first Atlantic Coast Conference Wrestler of the Week for the 2002 season.
* Senior Josh Weidman (Hershey, Pa.) has now placed second or better in all three tournaments he has wrestled in this season after finishing runner-up in Millersville. The Wilkes Open champion, Weidman now owns a 12-2 record with four falls on the season.
* Junior Jake Stork (Mohrsville, Pa.) has now placed first or second in five of the six tournaments he has wrestled in this season after a runner-up showing in Millersville. He notched two more pins on Saturday to give him a team-high 11 falls on the year, one less than he recorded all of last season.