Jan. 21, 2002
FACING THE PATRIOTS
* The Maryland wrestling team (3-2, 0-1 ACC) heads to Fairfax, Virginia on Wednesday for a dual meet with defending Colonial Athletic League champion George Mason (2-3, 0-0 CAA) at the John Linn Memorial Gym. The Terps will try and erase a 29-12 loss to the Patriots last season.
* Wednesday's match is the sixth dual meet of the season for Maryland and the third of four matches in a span of two weeks. Coach McHugh's squad will face Bucknell on Saturday before their first home meet of the season against Rutgers Jan. 30th.
* George Mason heads into Wednesday coming off an impressive 32-9 victory over Howard on Jan. 13th. They are led by 149-pounder Adrian Austin with a 16-8 record and 141-pounder Rob Becker with a 15-5 overall record on the year.
* Despite Maryland's two losses this past week, junior Jake Stork (Mohrsville, Pa.) notched his team-leading 14th pin of the season this past Wedneday against Navy, giving him a new career-high for falls in a season. Stork, last week's ACC Wrestler of the Week, won both his matches this past week and enters the George Mason match with a 23-4 record, with an undefeated dual meet mark of 5-0.
* Senior Brandon York (Gaitherburg, Md.) won one of two matches this past week to give him a team-high 26 wins on the year. He is looking to start a new win streak after having his 13-match winning streak broken against Navy last Wednesday. Including tournaments and dual meets, York is 5-0 lifetime against George Mason wrestlers at 133 pounds. After moving up to 141 pounds, York has not faced any Patriot wrestlers this season.
* Guzzio's pin of NC State's Clarence Davis in 4:26 on Saturday gave him six falls on the year, good for second on the team in pins. He is looking for the 85th victory of his Terrapin career on Wednesday.
* As of last week, the ACC boasted a 5-1 mark against Colonial Athletic Association teams this season. George Mason is the second of three CAA teams Maryland will face this year. The Terps already defeated CAA opponent James Madison earlier this season.