Dec. 26, 2001
CLOSING 2001 IN THE KEYSTONE STATE
* With the fall semester completed, the Maryland wrestling team travels to Wilkes-Barre, Pa. to compete in the 69th annual Open Wrestling Championships, held inside Henry Gym on the campus of Wilkes University.
* The open tournament is the fourth of the season for the Terps who also competed at the West Virginia Open, East Stroudsburg Open and Penn State Open. It is also Maryland's third-straight open tournament in the state of Pennsylvania this season. Wilkes will be the second to last open tournament of the season and the last open tournament in the calender year for the Terps.
* Redshirt junior Jake Stork (Mohrsville, Pa.) enters the two-day tournament as the team leader in wins with 12 and the team leader in falls with six. Stork has already claimed two titles this season at 184 at the East Stroudsburg and West Virginia Opens.
WEIDMAN PLACES SECOND IN SEASON DEBUT
* Senior Josh Weidman (Hershey, Pa.) made his presence felt right away, winning five matches and recording three pins on his way to a second place showing in his first tournament of the season at the Penn State Open. Weidman reached the finals of the 165 pound class before losing to 19th ranked Josh Henson of the University of Pennsylvania by a 6-1 decision.
* Freshman Adam James (Silver Spring, Md.) continued his hot start at 149, winning two more matches, including a pin, to reach the quarterfinals. The Maryland high school state champion a year ago ranks third on the team in wins with 10 and is tied for third on the team in falls with three.
* Stork recorded his team-high fifth and sixth pins of the season at Penn State, but the redshirt junior was battling flu-like symptons throughout the tournament and struggled overall, losing in the quarterfinals.