COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland (6-3, 0-1 B1G) will play its first Big Ten road contest Sunday when the Terps face Illinois (6-2, 0-1 B1G) in Champaign, Ill. at the State Farm Center. The game will be broadcast live on the Big Ten Network at 8:00 pm (ET).
• The Terps lead the all-time series between the two schools 8-5 since the teams first met in 1984. Maryland has won the past three meetings, including a 62-56 victory in Champaign when the teams last played on January 14, 2017.
• Sophomore Kevin Huerter was lights out for the Terps against Syracuse on Nov. 27, finishing with 23 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Huerter tied his career high with seven three pointers made and is averaging 21.0 points per game over the past two games.
• Despite 20 points from sophomore Anthony Cowan Jr. and a furious comeback effort in the final minutes, Purdue opened defense of its Big Ten regular season title by holding off Maryland 80-75 in both team’s B1G opener on Dec. 1.
• Maryland was excellent sharing the basketball against Syracuse, finishing with a season-best 22 assists on 23 made field goals. Justin Jackson and Darryl Morsell both notched career-highs with five assists apiece, as the Terps posted their highest assist total since notching 22 against Minnesota last season on Feb. 22.
• Freshman Bruno Fernando has been highly efficient from the field so far this season, shooting 37-of-59 (62.7%) through his first eight games. Fernando has thrived as Maryland’s rim protector on the defensive end, averaging 2.5 blocks per game over the past six games.
• Maryland has out-rebounded eight of its nine opponents this season, averaging 39.7 rebounds per game. Maryland’s rebounding margin of +12.1 ranks seventh in the nation (as of 12/2), while the Terps are holding opponents to 38.5% shooting.
• Anthony Cowan Jr. has led the Terps is scoring in seven of nine games this season, averaging 15.3 points per game. The Bowie, Md. native had a career day on Nov. 15, finishing with 25 points and 10 rebounds, both career highs, as Maryland used a strong shooting performance to beat Butler 79-65.
2017-18 maryland basketball gameday
• Fans are reminded that the Maryland Athletics Clear Bag Policy is in effect for all Maryland home games for the 2017-18 season. For more information, please click here.
• For further information on gameday at the XFINITY Center, please reference the XFINITY Center A-Z guide.