COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland (16-9, 5-7) will play its second leg in a stretch of four games in 10 days Wednesday when the Terps travel to play Penn State (16-9, 6-6) in University Park, Pa.
• Maryland came out ahead 75-69 when the teams met earlier this season on January 2 in College Park, thanks in part to a 17-point, 11-rebound performance from freshman Bruno Fernando. Anthony Cowan Jr. added 18 points while Kevin Huerter scored all 13 of his points in the final 12 minutes to fuel the comeback victory. UMD now leads the all-time series 13-8.
• Anthony Cowan Jr. continues to be the catalyst for Maryland on the offensive end this season, as the Bowie, Md. native has led the Terps in scoring in 19 different games including seven of 12 Big Ten contests. Cowan Jr. is averaging a team-best 18.4 points per game in Big Ten play.
• Cowan Jr. leads Maryland in points per game (16.2), which ranks ninth in the Big Ten. He also leads the Terps in free throw pct. (85.6% - T-5th in B1G), assists per game (5.0 – 4th in B1G) and steals per game (1.4 – 7th in B1G) while averaging a league-high 36.5 minutes per game.
• Cowan Jr. is on pace to play the most minutes per game in a season for a Terrapin since Greivis Vasquez (37.0 – 2007-08) and will likely finish in the top-five in season minutes average at the end of year.
• Freshman Darryl Morsell has become a major factor for Maryland on the boards with the loss of Justin Jackson and Ivan Bender this season, with Morsell averaging 6.5 rebounds over the past eight games. The 6-4 Baltimore, Md. native collected a career-high nine rebounds against Purdue on January 31.
• Sophomore Kevin Huerter has again cracked Maryland’s top-20 in season three-pointers with 63 threes made in 25 games played. Huerter’s freshman total of 65 ranks eighth all-time in Maryland history, and the Clifton Park, N.Y. native is on pace to surpass his mark from last season with seven regular season games remaining. Huerter currently ranks eighth in the B1G three-point field goal percentage (45.6%).
2017-18 maryland basketball gameday
• Fans are reminded that the Maryland Athletics Clear Bag Policy is in effect for all Maryland home games for the 2017-18 season. For more information, please click here.
• For further information on gameday at the XFINITY Center, please reference the XFINITY Center A-Z guide.