COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Megan Whittle will travel to the nation’s capital Thursday for the 18th annual Tewaaraton Award Ceremony at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of the American Indian.
Whittle wrapped up a historic Terrapin career this season, leading the team with 84 goals and 99 points, the second most goals scored in a single season in program history. One of the most decorated scorers in women’s lacrosse history, Whittle holds the all-time goal lead at Maryland, surpassing the mark Jen Adams had held for 17 years this season. Whittle ended her career with 298 goals, the second-most in NCAA history.
The senior ranked fifth nationally and led the Big Ten in goals and third nationally and led the Big Ten free positon goals per game with 1.68. The captain on a team that finished 20-2 with the program's 10th-straight final four and the Big Ten Regular Season and Tournament Titles, Whittle scored over three goals in all but five games this season, with a career-best eight in the Big Ten Tournament Championship victory over Penn State. Whittle was named the Big Ten Attack Player of the Year.
The Terps have won the last six Tewaaratons and have eight winners in the history of the award. Zoe Stuckenberg took home the honors last year. Taylor Cummings became the first-ever three-time winner the year before last (2014-16) while Katie Schwarzmann was a two-time winner in 2012 and 2013. Current Maryland assistant coach Caitlyn Phipps won the Tewaaraton in 2010 and Jen Adam earned the honor in its inaugural year in 2001.
The Terps have had 20 finalists, and this is the 12th time that Maryland has had at least one finalist for lacrosse’s most esteemed honor.
Whittle is joined by Sam Apuzzo (Boston College), Kristen Gaudian (James Madison), Marie McCool (North Carolina) and Kylie Ohlmiller (Stony Brook) as the five finalists for the award.
The Tewaaraton Award annually honors the top male and female college lacrosse player in the United States. On the men's side, Maryland attackman Connor Kelly is a finalist.
- Program Leader in All-Time Goals (298)
- Second in NCAA-History in Goals
- Second in Maryland-History in Single-Season Goals (84)
- 2x Big Ten Attack Player of the Year (2016 & 2018)
- 2018 Big Ten Tournament MVP
- 2018 Team Captain
- 4x NCAA Top 10 in Goals
- 3x Big Ten Goals Leader (2016-18)
- 4x IWLCA First Team All-Region
- 4x All-Big Ten
- (Washington Post) -- Maryland lacrosse star has 279 goals in 85 games. Now, about those two games she didn’t score ...
- (The Baltimore Sun) -- Maryland's Megan Whittle named women's Tewaaraton Award finalist
- (Testudo Times) -- Approaching 300 career goals, Maryland’s Megan Whittle is in uncharted territory
- (The Baltimore Sun) -- With trademark speed, Maryland lacrosse's Megan Whittle closes in on idol's goal-scoring record
- (Diamondback) -- “A matter of time”: Megan Whittle is poised to break Maryland lacrosse’s scoring record