INDIANAPOLIS – Sophomore Xiaolin Tian of the Maryland women’s golf team earned her first NCAA Regionals bid as an individual Wednesday.
Tian will compete in the Austin Region at the University of Texas Golf Club in Austin, Texas, hosted by the University of Texas starting May 7.
The field for the 2018 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Championships consists of 72 teams and 24 individuals
Tian is the first Maryland women’s golfer to make the tournament as an individual since Juliet Vongphoumy did so in 2015. Vongphoumy finished in 22nd after shooting a 224 (73-73-78).
Tian led the Terps at the Big Ten Women’s Golf Championships last weekend, finishing tied for second overall and helping the Terps to a T-2nd team finish. In Saturday’s second round, Tian shot her lowest round of the season (-5). She finished the tournament five under par overall with a score of 211 (72-67-72).
Austin Region Individuals:
- Brigitte Dunne – Southern Methodist University
- Xiaolin Tian – University of Maryland, College Park
- Greta Bruner – Texas Christian University
- Katrina Prendergast – Colorado State University
- Ellen Secor – Colorado State University
- Faith Summers – Southern Methodist University