CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Freshman Zoe Kulkarni won her ninth singles match of the season, but the Maryland women's tennis team (7-9, 1-4 B1G) fell to No. 11 Illinois, 4-1, on Sunday.
Kulkarni's 6-3, 7-5, victory over Grace Tapak at sixth singles secured her second victory of the weekend after winning in Maryland's match against No. 9 Northwestern on Friday.
Illinois took the early lead by claiming the doubles point. The Illini won at second and third doubles, which gave them a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
Behind wins at third and fourth singles, Illinois was able to extend its lead to 3-0 when singles play began. Kulkarni then kept the match going with her win at sixth singles. It was her third conference win of the season, which is tied for most on the team.
However, Illinois' win at second singles clinched the victory and ended the match.
Maryland's Eva Alexandrova and Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka's matches both went unfinished. Both Terrapins won in their first sets but were unable to finish their matches before the Illini clinched victory.
The Terrapins will return home for a pair of conference matches this weekend, hosting Iowa and Nebraska. The Terps and Hawkeyes will clash at the JTCC at noon on Saturday, with Maryland's match against the Huskers set for 10:30 a.m. on Sunday.
For full results from Maryland's match against No. 11 Illinois, please see below.
No. 11 Illinois 4, Maryland 1
3. Kawai/Rabinowitz (ILL) def. Yemelyanenka/Anastasiia Gevel (MD), 6-3
Order of Finish: (2, 3)
1. Switkes (ILL) vs. Eva Alexandrova (MD), 5-7, 6-3 UF
2. No. 89 Kawai (ILL) def. Ekaterina Tour (MD), 6-2, 7-6 (4)
3. Novak (ILL) def. Millie Stretton (MD), 6-1, 6-3
4. Rabinowitz (ILL) def. Arnelle Sullivan (MD), 6-2, 6-0
5. Belaya (ILL) vs. Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka (MD), 3-6, 6-6 UF
6. Zoe Kulkarni (MD) def. Grace Tapak (ILL), 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: (3, 4, 6, 2*)