COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- The Maryland women's tennis team (7-8, 1-3 B1G) fell to No. 11 Northwestern on Saturday, 6-1.
Northwestern got ahead early, clinching the doubles point with a pair of 6-2 wins at second and third doubles.
Maryland's top doubles team of Eva Alexandrova and Millie Stretton had fourth-ranked Erin Larner and Maddie Lipp on the ropes, but their upset bid was cut short when the doubles point was clinched. The Terps led 5-3 when play was suspended.
The Wildcats were able to take control when singles play began, clinching three points with wins at second, third and fifth singles and earning a match victory. Despite the clinch, freshman Zoe Kulkarni was then able to put a point on the board for Maryland shortly after the clinch, winning 7-5, 6-1 over Alex Chatt at fourth singles.
Northwestern then added a pair of points to close out the day with wins at first and sixth singles.
Maryland will be back in action on Sunday. The Terps travel to Champaign, Illinois, and will take on the Illinois Fighting Illini.
For full results from Maryland's match against No. 11 Northwestern, please see below.
No. 11 Northwestern 6, Maryland 1
Order of Finish: (3, 2)
1. No. 50 Larner (NW) def. Eva Alexandrova (MD), 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (7)
2. No. 92 Or (NW) def. Ekaterina Tour (MD), 6-2, 6-4
3. No. 51 Lipp (NW) def. Millie Stretton (MD), 6-1, 6-1
4. Zoe Kulkarni (MD) def. Chatt (NW), 7-5, 6-1
5. Byrne (NW) def. Saya Usui (MD), 6-3, 6-0
6. Ogut (NW) def. Anastasiia Gevel (MD), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: (3, 5, 2*, 4, 6, 1)