COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The Maryland gymnastics team travels to Champaign, Ill., to compete in the Big Ten Championships this Saturday at 8 p.m. The Terps will face Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State and Illinois in the evening session.
• Both sessions of the championship will air on the Big Ten Network.
LAST TIME OUT
- Maryland earned a second place finish (195.700) at the Michigan State-hosted Big Five meet Saturday, upsetting No.11 Nebraska and No. 24 Ohio State.
- This is the team’s fourth time competing the the Big Ten Championship since joining the conference in 2014. It is the first time Maryland will be competing in the evening session.
- Maryland is ranked No. 29 with a team RQS of 195.930. Based on the RQS, Maryland is No. 12 in the nation on bars at 49.240 RQS while checking in at No. 31 vault (48.990), No. 34 (48.885) on beam and No. 36 (49.110) on floor.
- Heading into Saturday, the Terps average a 195.423 and are ranked No.7 in the Big Ten. The squad ranks fourth on bars and sixth on vault and beam.
- Individually, Alecia Farina has a 9.890 RQS on floor, which is seventh in the conference and Audrey Barber follows in eighth with a 9.880. Barber also has a 9.890 RQS on bars, ranking her eighth.
HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS
- The Terps have scored over a 195 in 11 straight meets and over 196 twice. Maryland’s top score of the season happened it its home quad meet on Feb. 11 against William&Mary, Rutgers and Brown with a 196.575, the highest overall score during head coach Brett Nelligan’s tenure and the fourth overall highest score in program history.
- The team bested Southern Connecticut State, West Chester, Cornell and Bridgeport with a 196.325 in the Maryland Five Meet, which tied the fifth highest score in program history.
- The team beat the Penn State Nittany Lions in the first home meet of the season, winning 195.500-195.025, marking Maryland’s second-ever win over Penn State and first since joining the Big Ten.
- Maryland went 10-1 in front of home fans this season.
BARBER, FARINA NAMED TO ALL-BIG TEN TEAMS
- Freshman Audrey Barber was named to the All-Big Ten First Team and sophomore Alecia Farina was named to the All-Big Ten Second Team, as announced by the conference Monday. Farina and Barber have solidifed themselves as notable anchors for the Terps.
- Barber is tied for 7th in the Big Ten with an RQS of 39.300 in the all-around. The Temple Hills, Md. native is also ranked 8th on bars (9.890 RQS) and floor (9.880 RQS). Barber posted a season-high 39.475 in the all-around against Brown, Rutgers and William & Mary on Feb.11. She earned a season-high score of 9.875 on floor against Iowa Jan. 25 and notched the same score as a career-high against Michigan on Feb. 4.
- A native of Broadview Heights, Ohio, Farina is ranked 7th on floor with an RQS of 9.890. Farina notched a career-high score of 9.925 on the event in the Maryland Five meet against Bridgeport, Cornell, Southern Connecticut and West Chester on March 11.
BARBER STEPS UP IN FRESHMAN SEASON
- As just a freshman, Audrey Barber has stepped into the Maryland lineups on vault, bars, beam and floor to become one of the Terp’s top performers. The Temple Hills, Md., native holds a career-high 9.900 on vault, a 9.925 on bars, a 9.850 on beams, a 9.900 on floor and a 39.475 in the all-around.
- Barber has scored a 9.725 or higher on vault in eight meets, a 9.775 or higher on bars in eight meets, a 9.775 or higher on beam in seven meets and 9.700 or higher on floor for seven meets.
- Barber has competed in the all-around in each of the 13 meets she has competed in has scored a 9.7.00 or higher 30 times and has broken 39.000 7 times.
- Freshmen Audrey Barber, Collea Burgess, Emilie LeBlanc, Sabriyya Rouse and Karrie Thomas have appeared consistently in the lineups this season.
- Ten of Maryland’s 16 gymnasts are underclassmen.