March 8-11, 2018 || Maryland Stadium
COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- The Maryland softball team will host the 2018 Maryland Invitational starting this Thursday, March 8 through Sunday March 11 at Maryland Softball Stadium. Maryland will welcome Utah, Miami (OH), Yale and Jacksonville to College Park for the four-day tournament, and is slated to play five games.
Maryland’s games will be available to stream via BTN Plus and radio call is available via WMUC. For more information on the tournament, click here.
• Sophomore Amanda Brashear turned in her best weekend of the season at the Black & Red Classic, finishing 8-for-16 (.500) from the plate while notching three RBIs and a run. Brashear delivered a walk off hit in Maryland’s extra innings win over Eastern Illinois on March 3, slapping an infield single to push Maryland to a 3-2 victory.
• Sophomore Brigette Nordberg has gotten off to a hot start at the plate in her second collegiate season, leading the team in batting average (.316) and slugging percentage (.509) through the first month of the year. The Exton, Pa. native has already surpassed her hits total from last season in 19 games this year, and has cemented herself as a top of the lineup hitter throughout non-conference play.
• Freshman Ryan Denhart has made an immediate impact for the Terrapins in her first collegiate season, holding a team-best 2.22 ERA in 60.0 innings pitched. Denhart had a standout weekend at the Black & Red Classic, holding a 0.75 ERA through 18.2 innings while earning two wins and a save. She threw two complete games at the Tiger Invite, including a three-hit effort in 7.0 innings to help the Terps clinch a 4-1 win over Delaware on February 17.
• Senior Skylynne Ellazar wasted no time getting her 2018 season underway on February 9, launching a home run in her first at bat of the year against Cal Poly. It was Ellazar’s first homer since her sophomore year, setting the table for an eight-hit weekend where she finished with .615 batting average and .737 OBP.
• Ellazar notched her second career four-hit game the following day against Cal Poly, hitting four singles to tie her career single-game high. The Kahului, Hawaii native raked another homer the following weekend at the Tiger Invite, smashing a two-run bomb against Delaware for her second homer in five games.
• For an in depth look at this year's team, umterps.com and head coach Julie Wrightpreviewed the upcoming 2018 campaign on February 7.