After winning at the first doubles position together, both Alexandrova and Stretton went on to earn singles victories.
Alexandrova was the first Terp to put a singles point on the board, winning 6-0, 6-2 over Christie Wan at first singles. Stretton followed her doubles partner later on, battling back to take a 5-7, 6-2, 6-4 win over Sarah Hu that clinched the match victory for Maryland.
“Our team responded well after our loss at Princeton yesterday,” head coach Daria Panova said. “I think we showed resiliency, which will be important for us during the challenging stretches of our schedule. We’re looking forward to returning home next weekend for a pair of matches against another set of quality opponents.”
Maryland clinched the doubles point for the sixth time this season following a pair of wins from Alexandrova and Stretton, as well as Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka and Ekaterina Tour in the second singles position.
Yemelyanenka and Tour got Maryland the early advantage, and Stretton and Alexandrova then closed it out with a 7-5 victory.
After Alexandrova gave the Terps a 2-0 lead with her singles win, Columbia stormed out to a 3-2 lead with wins at second, fifth and sixth singles.
However, Yemelyanenka and Stretton were able to tame the Lions’ attack, posting consecutive wins that gave Maryland the match victory.
Maryland’s win over Columbia was its first road victory of the season. It was also Maryland’s second win over a member of the Ivy League, previously beating Harvard in its season opener.
The Terps will be back in action when they wrap up their non-conference schedule next weekend against West Virginia and Marshall. The Terps will host the Mountaineers on Saturday, Mar. 10, and then will welcome the Herd to College Park on Sunday, Mar. 11. Both matches are scheduled to begin at noon at the JTCC.
For full results from Maryland’s dual at Columbia, please see below.
Maryland 4, Columbia 3
1. Alexandrova/Stretton (MD) def. Wan/Milstein (Col), 7-5
2. Tour/Yemelyanenka (MD) def. Hu/Pollack (Col)
3. Kevakian/Kerr (Col) def. Usui/Sullivan (MD)
1. Eva Alexandrova (MD) def. Christie Wan (Col), 6-0, 6-2
2. Jennifer Kerr (Col) def. Ekaterina Tour (MD), 6-0, 2-6, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Millie Stretton (MD) def. Sarah Hu (Col), 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
4. Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka (MD) def. Andrea Kevakian (Col), 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
5. Ali Pollack (Col) def. Anastasiia Gevel (MD), 6-1, 6-2
6. Adi Milstein (Col) def. Zoe Kulkarni (MD), 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 6, 2, 4, 3*