COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland (14-6, 3-4 B1G) will host Minnesota (14-6, 3-4 B1G) at the XFINITY Center Thursday, January 18 at 8:30 pm. The game will be broadcast live on FS1.
• The Terps are 6-2 all-time against the Gophers, with the series tied 2-2 since Maryland joined the Big Ten. The two teams split their two meetings last season, with Maryland winning in Minneapolis 85-78 on Jan. 28 and Minnesota earning an 89-75 victory on Feb. 22 at the XFINITY Center.
• Freshmen Bruno Fernando and Darryl Morsell have been one of the most impactful freshmen tandems in the Big Ten this season, as the duo have combined to average 18.8 points per game (first in B1G) and 10.0 rebounds per game (first in B1G). Maryland is the only team to have two different freshmen be named Big Ten Freshmen of the Week this season.
• Fernando has been a major factor for the Terps in conference play, as the Luanda, Angola native is averaging 10.6 points, 6.9 rebounds while shooting 54.9% (28-of-51) from the floor.
• Maryland has done a solid job taking care of the basketball its past four games, averaging just 9.0 turnovers against Penn State, #1 Michigan State, Iowa, Ohio State and #23 Michigan. Sophomore point guard Anthony Cowan Jr. has been key during the four-game stretch, holding a 2.4 assist to turnover ratio while commanding the Terrapin offense.
• Anthony Cowan Jr. continues to be the catalyst for Maryland on the offensive end this season, as the Bowie, Md. native has led the Terps in scoring in 17 different games including five of seven Big Ten contests. Cowan leads Maryland in points per game (16.4), which ranks seventh in the Big Ten. He also leads the Terps in free throw pct. (85.7% - T-3rd in B1G), assists per game (4.6 - T-5th in B1G) and steals per game (1.35 - T-7th in B1G) while averaging a league-high 35.8 minutes per game.
• Head coach Mark Turgeon is currently participating in the Infiniti Coaches Charity Challenge in support of the Alzheimer’s Association – the world’s leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Turgeon has a personal connection with Alzheimer’s as his wife, Ann, lost her father, Jon Fowler, to Alzheimer’s in June of 2006 at the age of 68 after being diagnosed with the disease six years prior.
2017-18 maryland basketball gameday
• Fans are reminded that the Maryland Athletics Clear Bag Policy is in effect for all Maryland home games for the 2017-18 season. For more information, please click here.
• For further information on gameday at the XFINITY Center, please reference the XFINITY Center A-Z guide.