COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland will start its stretch of five straight non-conference home games in the month of December Thursday when the Terps host Ohio at 7 pm. The game will air live on the Big Ten Network.
• The series is tied 1-1 between the two schools, with Ohio picking up a win in their last visit to the XFINITY Center on Dec. 12, 2007. Maryland won the first-ever meeting in 1981.
• Mark Turgeon is 35-6 in the month of December since his first season at the helm at Maryland in 2011-12. Turgeon is also 26-3 in home games during that stretch.
• Anthony Cowan Jr. scored a career-high 27 points, including the game-winning free throw with 0.6 remaining, to lift Maryland past Illinois 92-91 in overtime on Dec. 3 for the team’s first Big Ten win. The Bowie, Md. native has led the Terps is scoring in eight of 10 games this season, averaging a team-best 16.5 points per game.
• Maryland has won five straight overtime games under head coach Mark Turgeon dating back to the 2013-14 season. The Terps are undefeated in overtime against Big Ten opponents during that stretch (3-0).
• Maryland came out of the gate hot at Illinois, shooting a season-high first half field goal percentage of 73.1% (19-for-26 from the field). It was the best field goal percentage in a single half since February 2, 2013 when the Terps shot 73.9% (17-of-23) in an 86-60 win over Wake Forest.
• Freshman Bruno Fernando’s biggest bucket as a Terp came on Dec. 3 at Illinois, tipping in a ball in the final second to force overtime against the Illini. Fernando is shooting 63.1% from the floor, and is averaging 2.3 blocks over the past seven games.
• Maryland was excellent sharing the basketball against Syracuse, finishing with a season-best 22 assists on 23 made field goals. Justin Jackson and Darryl Morsell both notched career-highs with five assists apiece, as the Terps posted their highest assist total since notching 22 against Minnesota last season on Feb. 22.
• Maryland has out-rebounded nine of its 10 opponents this season, averaging 39.1 rebounds per game. Maryland’s rebounding margin of +10.9 ranks 12th in the nation (as of 12/4), while the Terps are holding opponents to 40.0% shooting.
2017-18 maryland basketball gameday
• Fans are reminded that the Maryland Athletics Clear Bag Policy is in effect for all Maryland home games for the 2017-18 season. For more information, please click here.
• For further information on gameday at the XFINITY Center, please reference the XFINITY Center A-Z guide.