COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland track and field will have three athletes in action this week as competition kicks off at the 2017 NCAA Track and Field Championships. Seniors Lisa Meneau and Micha Powell, in addition to sophomore Greg Thompson all secured bids after their performances at the NCAA East Regional held May 25-27. The championships, hosted at historic Hayward Field on the campus of the University of Oregon, is set to begin Wednesday, June 7 and will run through Saturday, June 10.
The top-24 athletes from the East and West Preliminary rounds will compete in Eugene, with the top-eight finishers in each event garnering All-America honors.
Maryland has now qualified three athletes for NCAAs in back-to-back seasons. UMD's nine qualifiers for the NCAA East Regional was the most for a Terrapin squad since 2008 when the Terps sent 16 athletes to Tallahassee, Fla.
The ESPN family of networks will provide broadcast coverage for each day of the championships. The meet will also be available to stream each day via ESPN3. A full broadcast schedule can be found here.
|Maryland NCAA Championship Schedule|
|Thursday, June 8|
|6:00 PM||400 Meters (Heat 1)||Women||Semifinals||Micha Powell|
|6:30 PM||400 Hurdles (Heat 1)||Women||Semifinals||Lisa Meneau|
|Friday, June 9|
|5:05 PM||Discus (Flight 1)||Men||Finals||Greg Thompson|
|Saturday, June 10|
|4:32 PM||400 Meters||Women||Finals||Micha Powell|
|4:57 PM||400 Hurdles||Women||Finals||Lisa Meneau|
- Senior Lisa Meneau qualified for her first career NCAA Championship event in style, running a career-best 56.35 in the 400 hurdles to finish fifth in the field at the East Prelims. The Winchester, Va. took fourth in the fastest heat of the event, and improved three places upon her No. 8 seed to earn her first career trip to the NCAA Championships. Meneau is the No. 6 seed in the event.
- Senior Micha Powell advanced to her fourth straight NCAA Championship event after setting a new season-best in the 400 meter dash at the NCAA East Prelims. The Ontario, Canada native went 52.15 to finish third in her heat and ninth overall in the event to secure a trip to Eugene. Powell entered the Regional as the No. 20 seed, but jumped 11 spots in the field to lock up a top-12 time. Powell is seeded 15th in the field.
- Sophomore Greg Thompson punched his ticket to his first career NCAA Championship event on the final day of the East Regional, taking tenth in the men's discus. After weather delays postponed the discus competition in the afternoon, Thompson finally took the track to throw 185-5 (56.52m). The mark was good for 10th in the field, while Thompson becomes Maryland's first NCAA Championship discus qualifier since 1983. Thompsin is seeded 17th overall.
- 400 Hurdles: The East Region produced five of the top six seeds in the women's 400 meter hurdles, including Meneau who is No. 6 with a time of 56.35. LSU's Kymber Payne earned the No. 1 overall seed with a 55.50, while Arizona's Sage Watson was the top qualifier out of the West with a 56.13.
- 400m: USC junior Kendall Ellis owns the top mark in Division I this season, earning the No. 1 overall seed with a time of 50.45. She was the top seed out of the West Regiona followed by Chrisann Gordon (Texas), who took second in 51.20. Miami's Shakima Wimbley holds the top mark out of the East Region, earning the No. 3 overall seed in the 400 with a time of 51.23.
- Men's Discus: Iowa's Reno Tuufuli has the top qualifying mark in the men's discus heading into the Championships after throwing 62.06 meters in the Regional round. Seven athletes hit over 60 meters at Regionals to qualify, and it will likely be the benchmark for All-American honors at this year's event.
- Alexandra Lucki, Micha Powell and Chioma Onyekwere all represented Maryland at the 2016 NCAA Championships.