COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- The Maryland baseball team plays a three-game set at Bob "Turtle" Smith Stadium against Michigan State this weekend.
LEADING IT OFF
• Maryland has won four straight games after a 6-0 victory over William & Mary on Wednesday night. Since the beginning of Maryland, Maryland is 24-6 and 15-1 at home.
• Sophomore infielder AJ Lee has been on a tear since the beginning of April, batting .488 with a slugging percentage of .780. Lee has hits in nine consecutive official at bats, and has reached base in 10 of his last 11 plate appearances. A sacrifice bunt was the only play he did not reach base. Lee has two straight four hit games after never before having on in his career. He set career highs with five RBis and two home runs against Penn State on 4/16.
• Sophomore outfielder Marty Costes has emerged as one of the biggest offensive threats in the Big Ten this season. Costes is third in the Big Ten in average (.359), fourth in slugging (.607), fifth in on-base percentage (.444), sixth in runs scored (32), third in hits (52), 7th in RBIs (31) and fith in home runs (8). Costes had four hits and finished a home run away from the cycle while notching a career-high five RBIs against Penn State on 4/16.
• Senior Brandon Gum is second in the Big Ten in on-base percentage with a .477 mark, propelled by .337 average (9th in Big Ten) and 23 walks (5th in Big Ten).
• Junior RHP Brian Shaffer was named to the midseason watch list for the Golden Spikes Award - given to the nation's top amatuer baseball player. He earned run average of 1.83, OBA of .194, innings pitched of 64.0 and strikeouts (67) all sit among the top-five in the Big Ten. He leads the conference in WHIP (0.95).
• Junior Zach Jancarski's ability to set the table at the top of the lineup has been invaluable for the Terps this season. Jancarski is currently on an 15-game reached base streak and 11-game hitting streak. He is 14th in the Big Ten in average (.329), 10th in on-base percentage (.426), fourth in runs scored (33), sixth in hits (49) and 12th in doubles (10). Jancarski has also walked 20 times this season.
• Freshman left-handed pitcher Tyler Blohm has made a big impact in his first season in College Park. Blohm leads the Big Ten in wins with six and is in the top-10 in ERA (2.76), OBA (.200) and strikeouts (44). Blohm has been named Big Ten Freshman of the Week two times in 2017.
• The 2017 season is head coach John Szefc's fifth season in College Park. Szefc has led the Terps to four straight 30-win seasons and two NCAA Super Regional appearances, both program firsts. He became the fastest coach in Maryland history to win 150 games when the Terps topped Bryant in game one of a doubleheader on 3/12.
• The Terps topped the Big Ten preseason coaches poll while D1Baseball, Perfect Game and Baseball America named Maryland the Big Ten favorites for the 2017 season. It is the third straight year D1Baseball has tabbed the Terps its Big Ten preseason frontrunner.
Weekend Pitching Match-Ups
|Friday||RHP-Brian Shaffer, Jr. (4-2, 1.83, 67 K)||LHP-Alex Troop, So. (5-2, 1.50, 53 K)|
|Saturday||LHP-Tyler Blohm, Fr. (6-3, 2.76, 44 K)||LHP-Keegan Baar, Jr. (0-0, 3.60, 4 K)|
|Sunday||RHP-Taylor Bloom, Jr. (4-2, 4.57, 28 K)||RHP-Andrew Gonzalez, Jr. (3-2, 4.64, 13 K)|