CHAMPAIGN, IL – The No. 33 Maryland women’s tennis team (11-3, 2-2 B1G), fell in its match at Illinois by a final score of 5-2.
For just the second time all season, Maryland did not claim the doubles point. Illinois won at first and third doubles to gain the 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
The Terps got off to a fast start in singles, with Ekaterina Tour evening the score at one when she won 6-2, 6-1 at second singles. Arnelle Sullivan then gave the Terps the lead when she won a 7-6, 6-1 thriller at third singles.
However, Illinois then took three straight decisions at sixth, fourth and first singles to clinch the match. They also added a point with a win at fifth singles.
Maryland will be back in action next weekend as they wrap up their road schedule with matches at Penn State and Ohio State.
1. Louise Kwong/Ines Vias (ILL) def. Alexandra Stanova/Kristina Hovsepyan (UMD) 6-2
2. Madie Baillon/Jaclyn Switkes (ILL) vs. Ekaterina Tour/Caroline Williams (UMD) 5-3, unfinished
3. Alexis Casati/Daniela Novak (ILL) def. Cassandre Thebault/Arnelle Sullivan (UMD) 6-4
1. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Alexandra Stanova (UMD) 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
2. Ekaterina Tour (UMD) def. Alexis Casati (ILL) 6-2, 6-1
3. Arnelle Sullivan (UMD) def. Madie Baillon (ILL) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
4. Jaclyn Switkes (ILL) def. Kate Yemelyanenka (UMD) 6-1, 5-7, 6-1
5. Daniela Novak (ILL) def. Cassandre Thebault (UMD) 6-7 (11-13), 6-3, 6-4
6. Grace Tapak (ILL) def. Kristina Hovsepyan (UMD) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
ORDER OF FINISH