EVANSTON, IL. – The No. 33 Maryland women’s tennis team dropped its first road match of the season on Saturday when the Terps fell to No. 47 Northwestern, 5-2.
Maryland got off to a fast start to begin the match, and wins from Tour/Williams and Sullivan/Thebault gave the Terps the doubles point for the 12th consecutive match.
Northwestern was able to answer when singles play began, and the Wildcats picked up four-straight wins at third, fourth, fifth, and sixth singles to clinch the victory. Maryland received a singles victory from Ekaterina Tour.
The Terps got off to a 6-0 start on the road this season, which was tied for the best in program history. The match was also Maryland’s first Big Ten loss, after they began conference play with wins over Purdue and Iowa
The Terps will be back in action at noon on Sunday when they take on Big Ten foe Illinois.
1. Erin Larner (NU) def. Alexandra Stanova (MD) 5-7, 6-1, 6-1
2. Ekaterina Tour (MD) def. #114 Maddie Lipp (NU) 6-1, 6-7 (3-7), 1-0 (10-6)
3. Lee Or (NU) def. Arnelle Sullivan (MD) 6-4, 6-3
4. Rheeya Doshi (NU) def. Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka (MD) 6-2, 6-2
5. Alex Chatt (NU) def. Cassandre Thebault (MD) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jillian Rooney (NU) def. Caroline Williams (MD) 6-1, 6-4
ORDER OF FINISH