COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The No. 43 Maryland Terrapins knocked off previously unbeaten No. 49 Iowa by a score of 5-2 on Saturday.
The win gives Maryland a 2-0 record in the Big Ten and a 7-1 record overall.
For the seventh consecutive match, Maryland benefitted from earning the doubles point. Alexandra Stanova and Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka got the ball rolling for the Terps, picking up a 6-0 sweep at second doubles. Teammates Ekaterina Tour and Caroline Williams followed suit shortly after, and their 6-4 win gave the Terps a 1-0 lead.
In singles, Caroline Williams moved her season record to 3-1 with a 6-2, 6-3 win in the No. 6 spot. Cassandre Thebault had a comeback win shortly after, and her 3-6, 6-0, 6-2 win gave Maryland a 3-0 lead.
With the Terps needing one more point to clinch the victory, Stanova also came through for Maryland, and picked up a 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 win.
"Today we had another great win against another strong opponent," head coach Daria Panova said. "We had another solid performance in doubles, and we rebounded well when Iowa came out strong to start singles play. We were able to persevere and win three singles matches in three sets. Now we have to rest up and come back to face another great opponent tomorrow."
The Terps are back in action on Sunday when they host Princeton at noon at the Tennis Club of College Park. Live stats and live stream information will be provided on @TerpTennis on Twitter.
1. Tour/Williams (UMD) def. Van Heuvelen/Douglas (Iowa), 6-4
2. Stanova/Yemelyanenka (UMD) def. Thomas/Reimchen (Iowa), 6-0
3. Sullivan/Thebault (UMD) v. Tarun/Looney (Iowa), 5-4 (UF)
1. Stanova (UMD) def. Van Heuvelen (Iowa), 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Douglas (Iowa) def. Tour (UMD), 7-6, 4-6, 10-6
3. Reimchen (Iowa) def. Sullivan (UMD), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Thebault (UMD) def. Thoms (Iowa), 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
5. Yemelyanenka (UMD) def. Huckleby (Iowa), 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
6. Williams (UMD) def. Crawford (Iowa), 6-2, 6-3
ORDER OF FINISH
Doubles: 2, 1, 3 (UF)
Singles: 6, 4, 1*, 5, 2, 3