COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The No. 43 Maryland Terrapins (6-1, 1-0 B1G) lost their first match of the season Friday as the Terps fell to No. 49 William and Mary (5-7), 4-3.
For the sixth match in a row, Maryland got off to a fast start and received the doubles point. With senior Kristina Hovsepyan out with an injury, the Terps moved Ekaterina Tour and Caroline Williams up to first doubles. Hovsepyan’s partner Alexandra Stanova dropped to second doubles and played with freshman Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka.
Arnelle Sullivan and Cassandre Thebault got Maryland its first win of the match, picking up a 6-2 victory at third doubles. With the Terps needing one more win to clinch the doubles point, Stanova and Yemelyanenka took home a 6-4 victory and gave the Terps a 1-0 lead.
The Tribe answered in singles play, however, and took four-straight singles matches to clinch the victory.
"Give a lot of credit to William & Mary," head coach Daria Panova said. "They came back after dropping the doubles point and really played well. It's our first loss of the season but sometimes you learn more from losses than you do from wins. We have some positives to take away from the match but we found some things we need to work on. We're excited to come back tomorrow and face another strong opponent in Iowa."
The loss was Maryland’s first of the season, and the Terps' 6-0 start to the season matched the best in program history.
Maryland will be back in action on Saturday at 2 p.m. for its conference home opener against Iowa.
1. Faure/Goodman (W&M) def. Tour/Williams (UMD), 6-3
2. Stanova/Yemelyanenka (UMD) def. Stepanova/ Thaler (W&M), 6-4
3. Sullivan/Thebault (UMD) def. Perry/ Wuenscher (W&M), 6-2
1. Ekaterina Stepanova (W&M) def. Alexandra Stanova (UMD), 6-2, 6-4
2. Marie Faure (W&M) def. Ekaterina Tour (UMD), 6-3, 6-4
3. Arnelle Sullivan (UMD) def. Lauren Goodman (W&M), 6-4, 7-5
4. Natalia Perry (W&M) def. Cassandre Thebault (UMD), 6-4, 6-4
5. Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka (UMD) def. Olivia Thaler (W&M), 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Rosie Cheng (W&M) def. Caroline Williams (UMD), 6-2, 6-1
ORDER OF FINISH
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 1, 6, 4, 2*, 5, 6