COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The Maryland women’s tennis team has matched its best start in program history after defeating Penn 5-1.
The No. 42 Terps have started the season 6-0, which hasn’t been done since the 2007 season.
For the sixth consecutive match, Maryland took a 1-0 lead after clinching the doubles point. Senior pairing Alexandra Stanova and Kristina Hovsepyan extended their undefeated record to 4-0 with a 5-2 win, and Ekaterina Tour and Caroline Williams won in a 6-0 sweep at second doubles.
After Penn responded with a win at fourth singles to tie the match, Maryland rattled off three straight victories to clinch the match, with wins by Caroline Williams, Kristina Hovsepyan and Ekaterina Tour.
Tour’s win gave her five victories in as many appearances, and has not lost a singles match on the season. Williams has now won both singles matches she’s played in this season and has matched her doubles win total from her freshman season. Hovsepyan now has a three-match winning streak.
After clinching the match, Maryland also earned a point after Alexandra Stanova picked up another win at first singles, giving her four on the year and three wins in a row.
Maryland also received points after clinching the match with wins from Alexandra Stanova at first singles, and Arnelle Sullivan at third singles. Sullivan came from behind after losing her first set, and forced a third set tiebreaker where she won 11-9.
"I'm very proud of the way we played today," head coach Daria Panova said. "I think this was our best start in doubles, and we used that momentum when we started singles. I'm really proud of the way we played today from top to bottom and it was a great effort from everyone on the team. We have to give a lot of credit to Penn. They showed up today and really played a great match and gave us a great test."
Maryland will be back in action on Friday March 3rd, when they host William and Mary.
1. Alexandra Stanova/Kristina Hovsepyan (UMD) def. Kana Daniel/Ria Vaidya (Penn), 6-2
2. Ekaterina Tour/Caroline Williams (UMD) def. Lina Qostal/Ashley Zhu (Penn), 6-0.
3. Arnelle Sullivan/Cassandre Thebault (UMD) vs. Luba Vazhenina/Marta Kowalska (Penn) UF
1. Alexandra Stanova (UMD), def. Kana Daniel (Penn), 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Ekaterina Tour (UMD) def. Ashley Zhu, 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
3. Arnelle Sullivan (UMD) def. Ria Vaidya (Penn) 6-7 (8-10), 6-3, 11-9
4. Lina Qostal (Penn) def. Cassandre Thebault (UMD)
5. Kristina Hovsepyan (UMD) def. Luba Vazhenina (Penn) 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Caroline Williams (UMD) def. Marta Kowalska (Penn), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 2, 3 (UF)
Singles: 4, 6, 5, 2*, 1, 3