COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The Maryland women’s tennis team (4-0, 0-0 B1G) matched its best start in three seasons after the Terps defeated the Richmond Spiders (1-2) 7-0 on Sunday.
Once again Maryland benefited from extremely strong doubles play to open the match. Kristina Hovsepyan and Alexandra Stanova set the pace at first doubles, sweeping Brittany Boys and Gaby Rosales, 6-0.
The Terps came out firing in singles play, with every Maryland player winning the first set of their match. Stanova then got the Terps the first singles point of the day, defeating Rosales 6-2, 6-0.
Freshman Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka grabbed Maryland its third point of the match, and the Terps led 3-0 after her 6-1, 6-4 win over Ana Ramirez.
With Maryland one point away from the victory, Tour answered the call and delivered a hard-fought 6-3, 6-1 win at third singles. Cassandre Thebault, Hovsepyan and Arnelle Sullivan all finished on top as well, and the Terps finished the day with a sweep of the Spiders.
"Once again I'm proud of the way our team competed today," head coach Daria Panova said. "I think in all of our previous matches we were led by one or two players. Today, though, I think we had equal contributions from everyone. We came out to play from start to finish and that was the reason we reached the level of success we had today."
Maryland will have the weekend off before heading to Purdue for its Big Ten opener.
1. Stanova/Hovsepyan (UMD) def. Boys/Rosales (RU), 6-1
2. Tour/Williams (UMD) def. Marshall/Giffen (RU), 6-2
3. Sullivan/Yemelyanenka (UMD) UF Zlateva/Owens (RU)
1. Stanova (UMD) def. Rosales (RU), 6-2, 6-0
2. Sullivan (UMD) def. Marshall (RU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Tour (UMD) def. Boys (RU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Thebault (UMD) def. Owens (RU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Hovsepyan (UMD) def. Williams (RU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Yemelyanenka (UMD) def. Ramirez (RU), 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 1, 6, 3*, 4, 5, 2