COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- The Maryland women’s tennis team continued its impressive play this spring, as the Terps defeated visiting Boston University, 5-2. The win put the Terps at 3-0 on the season, a feat that hasn’t been accomplished since 2014.
Maryland got off to a fast start, with seniors Kristina Hovsepyan and Alexandra Stanova dominating their match at first doubles, winning by a final of 6-0. It was the first time the duo had been paired together since ITA National Indoors this past fall.
Hovsepyan and Sullivan continued to roll in their second sets, and both moved to 2-0 on the day with their wins.
With the Terps needing one more point to close out the match, Tour delivered and gave Maryland a 4-0 victory.
"Today we had a very consistent performance," head coach Daria Panova said. "I think a lot of times when you get up early in a match you may experience some up's and down's but today we were very consistent and strong throughout. I'm proud of the way we fought through the entire match and I'm looking forward to another strong test tomorrow."
Maryland will be back in action on Sunday when the Terps host Richmond at the College Park Tennis Center. The match is set to begin at 11 a.m.
1. Stanova/Hovsepyan (UMD) def. Faybyshev/Rodriguez (BU), 6-0
2. Ramos/Kostirko (BU) def. Tour/Williams (UMD), 6-2
3. Sullivan/Yemelyanenka (UMD) def. Craft/Kryloff, 6-2
1. Stanova (UMD) def. Kostirkno (BU), 7-5, 6-4
2. Sullivan (UMD) def. Rodriguez (BU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Tour (UMD) def. Ramos (BU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Faybyshev (UMD) def. Thebault, 0-6, 7-5, (7)
5. Hovsepyan (UMD) def. Craft (BU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Falxa (BU) def. Yemelyanenka (UMD), 6-4, 6-7, (5)
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 5, 2, 3*, 1, 4, 6