COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The Maryland men's soccer team gathered for its end of the year banquet Tuesday night at the College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center.
The 2016 squad celebrated another stellar campaign while distributing several awards. Gordon Wild collected Most Valuable Offensive Player honors and Suli Dainkeh and Chris Odoi-Atsem captured top defensive accolades. Alex Crognale was tabbed the team’s most valuable player.
Director of Athletics Kevin Anderson also addressed the team.
A complete list of the award winners are listed below along with a compilation of the team highlights for the 2016 campaign.
2016 Team Highlights
• Program-record 15-game winning streak
• Program-record 25-game unbeaten streak
• Unbeaten regular season (16-0-2)
• Big Ten Regular Season and Tournament Champions
• Matched school record five consecutive shutouts
• One MAC Hermann Trophy finalist
• Two MAC Hermann Trophy semifinalists
• Two NSCAA First Team All-Americans (first time two players since 2010)
• Sasho Cirovski - Big Ten Coach of the Year, Gordon Wild - Offensive Player of the Year, Alex Crognale - Defensive Player of the Year and Cody Niedermeier - Goalkeeper of the Year; eight players earned All-Big Ten honors (Wild, Crognale, Niedermeier, Chris Odoi-Atsem, Amar Sejdic, Suli Dainkeh, Eryk Williamson and Dononvan Pines)
• No. 1 in the nation in attendance, averaging over 4,000 fans per game and 52,189 total fans at Ludwig
• In collaboration with Robbie Rogers hosted first-ever Pride Night raising LGBT awareness and acceptance and funds for GLSEN
2016 Specialty Awards
Most Valuable Player-Offensive
Most Valuable Player-Defensive
John Carlson Award
Presented to the Outstanding Team Member in Men's Soccer
Peter Lowery Award
Presented to the Men's Soccer team member who exemplifies academic excellence, leadership, and distinguished citizenship on campus
Presented to the Men's Soccer team member who exemplifies loyalty, dedication, and selfless commitment to the Maryland Soccer Program