COLLEGE PARK, Md. -
West Virginia (27-20) at Maryland (33-19)
Tues., May 13 (2 p.m.)
Probable Pitching Matchups
MD - R So. LHP Zach Morris (2-1, 2.25 ERA) vs. WV - Sr. RHP Corey Walter (1-4, 4.41 ERA)
- Maryland enters Tuesday's contest against West Virginia riding an eight-game winning streak including a three-game sweep of Pittsburgh over the weekend in which the Terps outscored the Panthers, 32-6.
- With the sweep, the Terps won their 33rd game of the season and 15th in conference. Maryland's 33 wins is one shy of tying the school record set in 2002, and its 15 ACC wins has tied a program record originally set in 1970. In addition, the Terps locked down a bid to the ACC Tournament and will be making their first appearance at the event since 2005.
- Maryland's sweep of Pitt marked its first sweep on the road of an ACC opponent since the Terps took three games at Duke in 1999 (April 2-4).
- Second baseman Brandon Lowe has been a key cog in the Terps offensive attack as of late. During Maryland's winning streak, Lowe leads the team in hitting (.462), slugging (.692) and on-base percentage (.568) and RBI (11). Lowe is also tied for the team lead in runs scored (9), doubles (4) and triples (1) during the stretch.
- On the season, Lowe ranks second in the ACC in hitting with a .355 batting average, leads the conference in on-base percentage (.478) and ranks 10th in slugging (.482). Last week in five games, Lowe posted a .556 slugging percentage and tallied 10 RBI including a career-high five against VCU (May 6).
- As a team, the Terps are hitting .298 during the eight-game stretch with 20 doubles, a little over a quarter of the team's hits (20-of-79), with 59 runs scored and 55 RBI.
- Catcher Kevin Martir has been heating up as of late. Against the Panthers, Martir was 6-for-11 (.545) with two doubles, a home run and four RBI. Over the last eight games, Martir is second on the team with a .409 batting average and has driven in five runs.
- Left fielder Tim Lewis enters the West Virginia contest riding a nine-game hitting streak. It is the longest hitting streak for a Terrapin hitter this season. Against Pitt, Lewis had six hits in 13 at-bats and tallied his first double of the season.
- The Terrapin pitching staff has been a large part of the team's recent success. The unit has posted a 1.25 ERA during the eight-game winning streak, while holding opponents to a .169 average. In 72 innings of action, the Terps are averaging 7.25 strikeouts per nine.
- This season, the Terps have a 2.87 ERA and are holding opposing hitters to a .198 batting average in non-conference action. Maryland has posted five shutouts and is averaging 8.74 K/9 in those contests.
- Maryland leads the all-time series against West Virginia, 30-18-1, and will be hosting the Mountaineers for the first time since 2012. The Terps have won six of the last nine meetings with the Mountaineers, but dropped at 14-2 decision in Morgantown earlier this season. Maryland won the last meeting College Park, 3-0, on April 11, 2012.
MARYLAND VS. CANCER
- The Maryland baseball team has started its annual fundraiser to raise money for the Vs. Cancer Foundation. Maryland's goal is $20,000. To help the Terps reach their goal, visit maryland.vs.-cancer.org.