The Maryland softball team is bound for South Bend, Ind. this weekend as it looks to keep its ACC Tournament hopes alive with a critical three-game series against No. 21 Notre Dame. The Terps will play a pair of games on Sunday, before appearing nationally on ESPNU Monday. For live updates, log on to https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball.
|April 27||1:00 p.m.||vs. #21 Notre Dame||Live Stats||Live Video|
|April 27||3:00 p.m.||vs. #21 Notre Dame||Live Stats||Live Video|
|April 28||7:00 p.m.||vs. #21 Notre Dame||Live Stats||ESPNU|
Scouting The Terps
|2014 Maryland Terrapins: 8-32, 4-13 ACC|
• The Terrapins took a pair of midweek games from visiting Howard by a cumulative score of 25-4, and have won five of their last seven games. Four Maryland players are hitting better than .400 during that seven-game span.
• Junior Shannon Bustillos continues to carry the Terps offensively, batting .455 with 10 RBIs, nine runs and a pair of homers over her last seven games. Freshman Kylie Datil has also performed well during that span, batting .450 with two home runs and a .522 OBP.
• Junior Kaitlyn Schmeiser had another strong outing against Howard, and has posted a 1.84 ERA over her last seven games with three victories. The Terrapin pitching staff has allowed just 18 earned runs over its last 45.0 innings.
• Head coach Laura Watten is just one win away from the 600-win plateau for her career.
Scouting #21 Notre Dame (31-10, 10-5 ACC)
• Currently ranked second in the ACC, Notre Dame has won five of its last six contests. The lone loss came in the second game of a doubleheader Tuesday against NC State, 6-2.
• The Irish are one of the best hitting teams in the country, ranking first in the nation in doubles (2.11/g) and second nationally in batting average (.355). Freshman Karley Wester leads the team with a spectacular .459 average through 41 games, while Micaela Arizmendi has 43 RBIs and 11 home runs.
• Senior Laura Winter leads the Notre Dame pitching staff with a 20-4 record and a 2.26 ERA. Winter has posted six shutouts and 19 complete games, totaling 197 strikeouts. The entire pitching staff has a cumulative ERA of 2.57.
• Maryland is 0-5 all-time against Nore Dame in a series dating back to 1999, including a 5-3 loss last season. The Terps held a 3-2 advantage through four innings, but the Irish scored three in the sixth to take the victory. Juli Strange was 1-for-3 with a run, while Kaitlyn Schmeiser allowed just two earned runs in 4.0 innings.
|2014 Notre Dame Irish (31-10, 10-5 ACC)|
|2014 Terps When...|
|vs. Right-handed Starter||8-30|
|vs. Left-handed Starter||0-2|
|5+ Run games||4-15|
|Scoring 0-2 runs||0-18|
|Scoring 3-5 runs||1-10|
|Scoring 6-9 runs||3-4|
|Scoring 10+ runs||4-0|
|Opponent Scoring 0-2 runs||4-3|
|Opponent Scoring 3-5 runs||2-7|
|Opponent Scoring 6-9 runs||1-11|
|Opponent Scoring 10+ runs||1-11|
|Scored in first inning||4-6|
|Opponent scored in first inning||2-19|
|Opponent scores first||2-27|
|Made 0 errors||1-9|
|Made 1 error||5-13|
|Made 2+ errors||2-10|
|Opponent made 0 errors||1-10|
|Opponent made 1 error||0-12|
|Opponent made 2+ errors||7-10|
|Out-hit by opponent||1-25|
|Hits are tied||1-3|
Support the Terps
• Follow Maryland softball on Twitter! Check out https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball!
• Email Straight To You: If you would like the latest Maryland softball news emailed directly to you as soon as it breaks, email softball contact Sean Ellenby with "Softball E-Mail" as the subject and you will receive every update.
• Terps on the Web: For up-to-date game stories, statistics, schedules and results, and other Maryland athletic department information, please log-on to www.umterps.com on the Internet.
• GameTracker: Follow Terps games live in 2014 on your computer with GameTracker. Links for all games that will be available can be found at www.umterps.com.