CARY, N.C. - The Maryland women’s team dropped its opening round match of the 2014 ACC Championships, 4-1, to Wake Forest Wednesday morning.
The 12th-seeded Terps were unable to repeat their success against the Demon Deacons from earlier in the season, losing the doubles point and falling in three of four completed singles matches.
The doubles session came down to the outcome at No. 2, where Alexandra Stanova and Olivia Gaudreault faced Luisa Fernandez and Samantha Asch. The Terps held the lead for most of the contest, but lost 7-0 in the deciding tiebreak.
The Demon Deacons took control early in singles, earning runaway wins on court five and six. Welma Luus pulled a point back for the Terps with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Kimmy Guerin at No. 3, but Asch clinched the win for Wake, defeating Kristina Hovsepyan, 6-3, 6-3.
Maryland finishes the season with a 9-13 record, an improvement of three wins from last season. The Terps also won four conference matches, the most since 2006.
Wake Forest 4, Maryland 1Singles competition
1. Andrea Retolaza (WF) vs. Stanova,Alexandra (MD) 3-6, 6-3, 1-1, unfinished
2. Luisa Fernandez (WF) vs. Bredikhina,Nataliya (MD) 6-1, 2-6, unfinished
3. Luus,Welma (MD) def. Kimmy Guerin (WF) 6-3, 6-1
4. Samantha Asch (WF) def. Hovsepyan,Kristina (MD) 6-3, 6-3
5. Kasey Gardiner (WF) def. Bredikhina,Olga (MD) 6-1, 6-1
6. Xue Zhang (WF) def. Gaudreault,Olivia (MD) 6-3, 6-2
1. Xue Zhang/Kasey Gardiner (WF) def. Luus,Welma/Bredikhina,Nataliya (MD) 8-5
2. Luisa Fernandez/Samantha Asch (WF) def. Stanova,Alexandra/Gaudreault,Olivia (MD) 8-7 (8-0)
3. Kimmy Guerin/Karen Forman (WF) def. Hovsepyan,Kristina/Gaistruck,Olga (MD) 8-2
Match Notes:Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,3,6,4)
Singles matches No. 1 and No. 2 were not completed.