COLLEGE PARK, Md - Olivia Gaudreault won her third straight singles match, but the Maryland women’s tennis fell to No. 51 Boston College, 5-2, at the Tennis Center at College Park Saturday afternoon.
Welma Luus won the Terps’ other singles match on court four, but the Eagles were able to thwart all Maryland’s comeback attempts.
In doubles, the point was settled on court one after Maryland won at No. 3 and Boston College claimed victory at No. 2. With the score at 6-5, Wacnik and Borr played a marathon game with Luus and Nataliya Bredikhina. The Boston College pair ultimately won the game, which propelled them to an 8-5 match victory.
Borr got the Eagles off to a good start in singles with a 6-3, 6-0 over Kristina Hovsepyan. Wacnik followed with a win of her own soon after, defeating Alexandra Stanova, 7-5, 6-1.
Luus gave the Terps some life with a 7-6 (7-1), 6-4 win against Salonen, but Vasilyev closed it out, defeating Bredikhina, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5.
The Terps close out the regular season on Sunday against NC State. Action is scheduled to begin at noon.
Boston College 5, Maryland 2Doubles Results
1. Luus/Bredikhina (MD) vs. Wacnik/Borr (BC), 8-5
2. Vasilyev/Sweeting (BC) def. Stanova/Gaudreault (MD), 8-2
3. Hovsepyan/Gaistruk (MD) def. Salonen/Safron (BC), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1Singles Results
1. Wacnik (BC) def. Stanova (MD), 7-5, 6-1
2. Vasilyev (BC) def. N. Bredikhina (MD), 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
3. Borr (BC) def. Hovsepyan (MD). 6-3, 6-0
4. Luus (MD) def. Salonen (BC), 7-6 (7-1), 6-4
5. Safron (BC) def. O. Bredikhina (MD), 6-3, 6-4
6. Gaudreault (MD) def. Sweeting (BC), 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4, 5, 2, 6