CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - The Maryland women’s tennis team dropped at 6-1 decision to No. 3 North Carolina at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center Sunday afternoon.
Olivia Gaudreault was the highlight for the Terps, marking her return to the singles lineup with a victory over Laura Slater at No. 6. The Tar Heels controlled the rest of the matches.
Loeb continued her strong play, knocking off Alexandra Stanova, 6-2, 6-2, on court one. Carter and Carolina Price, both nationally ranked, gave up just six games combined in wins at No. 2 and No. 3.
Gaudreault’s victory was the final completed match of the day. It was her first singles match since March 14 against Clemson. She is now 5-3 on the season.
The Terps finish out the regular season at home next weekend. Boston College will be in town for a Saturday showdown and the Terps will take on NC State the following day. #3 North Carolina 6, Maryland 1
#3 North Carolina 6, Maryland 1
1. #1 Jamie Loeb (NC) def. Alexandra Stanova (MD) 6-2, 6-2
2. #6 Hayley Carter (NC) def. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 6-2, 6-2
3. #43 Caroline Price (NC) def. Kristina Hovsepyan (MD) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kate Vialle (NC) def. Welma Luus (MD) 6-2, 6-2
5. Tessa Lyons (NC) def. Olga Bredikhina (MD) 6-2, 7-5
6. Olivia Gaudreault (MD) def. Laura Slater (NC) 7-6, 6-4
1. #3 Jamie Loeb/Hayley Carter (NC) def. Welma Luus/Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 8-1
2. #17 Whitney Kay/Caroline Price (NC) vs. Alexandra Stanova/Cassandre Thebault (MD) 7-1, unfinished
3. #46 Tessa Lyons/Laura Slater (NC) def. Kristina Hovsepyan/Olga Gaistruck (MD) 8-3
Maryland 7-11, 3-9
North Carolina 22-3, 11-1; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,4,1,2,5,6)